Qty 1 1/8" BB :)

Fell out and, naturally, disappeared, of quick change hex chuck in me Hitachi impact. Where or where can I find 1 w/o having to order a whole pack of 500 from likes of mcmaster etc ?

Reply to
r11

Ball bearing. You do have a box of assorted bearings somewhere, don't you?

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Therein lies the problem - my metalworking shop has great variety of many things, but no 1/8" ball bearings :(

I have some bearings, that I could crack open, but I dont know the size of BBs in there ... No BB gun either

I guess I'd have to spring for 500 pack, but what am I going to do with the 499 remaining BBs ? Such a waste :)

Reply to
r11

fastener drawers at the hardware store.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Go to the bike shop. They may give you one or, at the worst, make you buy a

10 pack.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

I like the bike shop idea, but Hitachi is more likely to have used a 3mm ball. Measure carefully, if there's any more of 'em in the chuck for reference.

Reply to
whit3rd

If you are close to a MSC store, you can get 500 carbon steel for about $2.25 delivered to your store. Or 100 chrome steel for about the same price. My catalog is a few years old so the prices are approx.

Or you could go to walmart and get genuine BB's.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

" snipped-for-privacy@krl.org" fired this volley in news:9a0c9108- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

but they're .177, not .125. He asked for 1/8" Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

+1
Reply to
Tom Gardner

That is some large BB. 1.125" I'd think one could buy them in much smaller sets - due to size - No one wants a bag of 100 of those! Much less 500.

I'd check - likely a small charge for a smaller lot.

Martin - check mscdirect.com as well.

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

oops - 1 ea of .125" - I bet a bag of 100 myself. Depends on the alloy and the size of the bag. What type of stainless.....

Martin Eastburn

The thread is entitled " Qty 1 .125 BB " and he lost the original bal l. I think he wants a ball the same size as the original, but I am not sur e if he needs a BB or a .125 ball or some other size. My impression is he wants to get something about BB size and see if it works. As someone said Hitachi probably used a metric sized ball.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

" snipped-for-privacy@krl.org" fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

MY impression is that he abbreviated "Ball Bearing", and wants a 0.125" ball. That, by the way, is the origin of the term "BB shot". SOMEbody had some 0.177 balls around, and decided to make it a standard for air guns.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

bought a pack of 20 from eBay seller. under 4 bucks delivered. they do use imperial size bb in that chuck

Reply to
r11

use imperial size bb in that chuck

I've been somewhat bothered by the wording of these. To me (starting in life as a kid) the term "BB" (all upper case) stood for a copper coated roughly spherical steel projectile. Roughly, because it would have a flat spot on one side, presumably from some kind of automated forming process. (And yes, these were 0.177" diameter, not the desired 0.125".)

I'm presuming that you are using it to stand for "Ball Bearing" (the individual balls, not the assembled rolling ball device.) I would probably have used the spelled out term "bearing ball" rather than "BB".

Hopefully, the eBay seller is selling bearing balls, not the projectiles. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

BB originally referred to a size of lead shot, .180" inch in diameter. These were used in early BB guns, but as repeating BB guns came on the market, the lead was found to be too soft for reliable feeding, so a .177" steel BB was adopted.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

I'm with Don. Have BB guns in both pistol and rifle. Shoots .117 pellets.

The BB was a size of the ball sizes in shotgun shot size. If you go to the local supplier of shot guns / shells - or web - you will see sizes 0000 000 00 0 etc - aught double-aught (favorite of police blasting shotguns) and naturally the series keeps on going in both directions. BB is one of the series - see a good gun bible and it has a shot size sheet.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn