question about using SS for a Jeep roof rack

I'm wondering how comparable X gauge of stainless tubing is verses the same gauge of carbon steel... and what grade of stainless might be up to the task.

I want to make a cargo rack for my Jeep so in other words what gauge would you recommend for a rack (safari style roof rack with four mounting points on the lower part of the jeep (rear frame cross member in the back and lower windshield hinges in the front) that has to support a few hundred pounds. under varying load and flex while driving. I'll be using it for a canoe, gas can, camping stuff; that sort of thing. Is there a rule of thumb for what gauge SS you can substitute for carbon to get comparable strength? Also what thickness and type of SS would you recommend for a swingout spare carrier with single mounting point roller bearing hub attached to a beefed up rear cross member (replaced the stock 1/8th thick cross member with 1/4"). I don't want to go heavier than I really need, but on the other hand it needs to be a little oversized/over engineered for ruggedness.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

Round tube is more common than square tube in Stainless steel, but square tube is much easier to fabricate with.

I would recommend 1" x 1" x 0.062" wall, square tube for your rack and spare carrier. Gusset the corners for added strength. Stainless steel is stronger than mild steel, but more prone to stress fractures if allowed to flex.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Is this simply a "looks" thing? Why not use painted mild steel square tube? Readily available and *much* cheaper.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

It's a cross between a looks thing and a low maintainance thing. The Jeep just got painted a deep charcole grey and got new stainless hardware and fasteners all over the place. All of the visible SS hardware is soda blasted to have a brushed/frosted look. So it's basically evolved into a theme for the Jeep. You can see it here if you're curious:

Simon Juncal