Question on oil additive

Anyone have any experience with a product called CerMax from CermaTechnology.com? I got into a heated discussion with another Yahoo group member.

If you click on Documentation it takes you straight to their store where you must enter the id number of your distributor. Strikes me as a multilevel marketing scam.

That aside, it seems like snake oil.

Comments?

--Andy Asberry--

------Texas-----

Reply to
Andy Asberry

Not heard of it.

99% chance that it is.

I have been retired for 11+ years so I am not up to date on the latest technology. When I was doing quality control for lubricants I did a few experiments on my own behalf with additives. My opinion is that some are incompatible with the original oil and reduce the performance. Most increase the viscosity, adding drag and increasing fuel consumption. I did not test all brands.

You are much better off financially to reduce the interval between oil changes than pay for expensive additives which more than likely will not improve the original oils performance. Reducing oil change intervals will definitely reduce component wear as there will still be active additive remaining in the oil to provide protection.

I can remember that in the late 60's my employer introduced a much improved gear oil and recalled all reseller stocks of its predecessor as the two were not compatible and formed a gel when mixed Alan, in Gosnells, Western Oz. VK6 YAB VKS 737 - W 6174

Reply to
alan200

Andy Asberry wrote in article ...

And, YOUR distributor id number would be ..........?

Reply to
*

Andy, did you check on the bobistheoilguy.com forums?

Rex

Reply to
Rex

I asked the same question of probably the same person, Andy. Was told that they wanted to keep out the riff raff. I said that is also keeps out the potential customers.

Personally I think the stuff is just more snake oil.

Reply to
Steve W.

You'll never see my number in that blank because I will never have one. In case you didn't pick up on it, I'm the original doubter here.

--Andy Asberry--

------Texas-----

Reply to
Andy Asberry

That is some site. I'll have to go back when I have more time; a lot more time. Thanks!

--Andy Asberry--

------Texas-----

Reply to
Andy Asberry

Sounds to me like they do not want to sell direct. We are a distributor for many automotive product lines. We take it pretty personal when one of those vendors offers to sell direct to the public rather than support their distributors.

For instance, if you went to the Wix filters site, you won't find a way to buy it. If you get close, you will be directed to a distributor or jobber.

Reply to
Rex

Yup!

And, in case YOU' VE never picked up on it, your opening paragraph mimics that of many a SPAMMER trying to draw traffic to their website........

Reply to
*

Except he's been around here for quite a while, and you?

Reply to
ATP*

I whole-heartedly agree with that policy. Before I retired (yep, you heard it here first) I dropped a couple of wholesale distributors because they sold to everyone (consumers) who walked in the door. And I wouldn't have minded that if they had sold at retail prices.

This outfit doesn't even offer to help find a distributor. You can become a distributor but you must be referred by a distributor. You would think they would at least let you see the documentation to validate their claims.

If you were around a military base in the sixties, you probably recall a hair lipped sharecropper's son named Glenn W. Turner selling distributorships in a mink oil cosmetics company. Do a Google on it.

IMO, this is the same type of outfit.

--Andy Asberry--

------Texas-----

Reply to
Andy Asberry

ATP* wrote in article ...

Now, THAT'S funny!

You, apparently, have never seen some of the "discussions" I have been involved with over the past years.....

....and how much I've been chastised for my chosen anonymity by people hiding behind nicknames - and names that appear to be real - and fake e-mail addresses. At least my choice for anonymity is up front and apparent.

Reply to
*

Andy Asberry wrote in article ...

It is one thing to have a contractual agreement to sell wholesale/trade only, but if you allow them to sell retail under any circumstances - and, apparently, you would have - you cannot tell them how much to charge.

You can have a "suggested retail" price as a guideline, but you cannot enforce it.

Any attempt to control the price at which your independent distributors choose to sell is called "price fixing" and is illegal.

Reply to
*

In the auto parts aftermarket, published price sheets are going the way of the dinosaur. Our prices come to us as an annual quote per part, from which we generate a wholesale price to our jobber stores and shops. We also produce several retail price levels, which the jobber can use as-is or apply their own factors, up or down. Certainly nothing close to price-fixing in this industry.

Reply to
Rex

Let's see if I can clear this up for you. I bought from the wholesale distributors. I stocked their product and advertised it and serviced it (warranties), even when it was purchased elsewhere. I have more than the purchase price invested.

I'm buying $50,000 of product a month from them and they sell at the same price to a consumer who only buys $100 worth once in a lifetime. Yep, that tripped my trigger.

--Andy Asberry--

------Texas-----

Reply to
Andy Asberry

fromCermaTechnology.com? I got into a heated discussion with another Yahoo

I just wanted to let you know about Cerma Technology This product is for real. My husband and I have used the product for almost a year now . We are amazed at the benefits. This product reduces noise and vibration, increases horsepower, increases torque, increases compression, decreases wear and reduces harmful emissions by as much as 92%. When added to your engine oil it penetrates through the carbon and when it reaches the metal it kicks off the carbon and embeds a 2 micron (about 0.002") thick layer of a hard ceramic into the metal surface. This ceramic seal survives impact as well as expansion and contraction without separating from the metal. It has been tested for over 5 years in over 600 vehicles with no ill effects and will not affect existing warranties. If you wish to read about the product and/ order go to

mshoars

Andy Asberry wrote in article ...

That is their prerogative......setting the price and deciding exactly who gets that price....just as it is YOUR prerogative to buy or not buy from any distributor for your own reasons.

In case you haven't noticed, what you describe has been happening for years in the automotive market with "retail" shops such as Pep Boys, Auto Zone etc. running flat out against "traditional" aftermarket stores such as NAPA and Carquest.

Instead of holding fast, too many of the NAPA and Carquest stores are caving in and selling "at wholesale" to consumers....even to the point of carrying "price conscious" cheap crap to compete with the retailers, but that is their own business decision.

When I ran a NAPA store, my customer base was approximately 90 percent professional shops and 10 percent off-the-street DIY-types, so I stocked very little of the "second-line" stuff because the professionals simply would not buy it to install it on their customers' cars.

I had a woman retail customer complain that my local body shop could buy body filler at about half the price she was paying, and she thought that was unfair. Of course, she was looking at a quart while the body shops were buying five-gallon pails once or twice per month.

I asked her if she thought the restaurant up the street paid the same for a dozen eggs that she did......especially since they went through more eggs in one morning than she oprobably did in several months.

She STILL didn't get it.

In my part of the country, the last "trade-only" holdouts seem to be the HVAC and Electrical suppliers, but a few of them are seeking that quick cash money that retail often brings - especially when faced with the "big boxes" like Home Depot and Lowe's.

One local heating supplier refused to sell me a nozzle and fuel filter for my shop furnace (I have my house furnace serviced professionally each year). I went to my local TV hardware and bought both items for less than ten bucks.

Reply to
*

snipped-for-privacy@myclearwave.net wrote in article ...

Ah, yes! The "unsolicited, unbiased, testimonial."

It is absolutely amazing to find someone - a woman, no less - so involved in the additive field that she has all the measuring devices to come up with such documentation, isn't it?

In all my 40-plus years in the automotive business, I could only WISH to own a dynamometer, yet she comes up with "....increased horsepower and increased torque...." - apparently from testing done by her own dyno......which "amaze" her and her hubby.

Would that be a dry test, wet test, or both?

Again, she must have some pretty sophisticated measuring devices to determine this...

I have no doubt in my mind that, if asked, she could name those "harmful emissions" that have been reduced by 92%, and give us the actual figures.

"Micro" is Metric talk for "millionth" where "milli" would be Metric talk for thousandth. Her "scientific community" apparently equates one micron with "approximately" .001" (one thousandth of an inch) whereas my Machinery's Handbook suggests that a micron is equal to one micro-meter OR a millionth of a meter (.000001mm) OR .00003937" (roughly four hundred-thousandths of an inch)..........approximately two percent the size she states.

It's not even a mis-placed decimal since two microns would be approximately .00008".

Reply to
*

On 16 Mar 2007 19:00:13 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, snipped-for-privacy@myclearwave.net quickly quoth:

fromCermaTechnology.com? I got into a heated discussion with another Yahoo

Some of the test scores (100% reduction of hydrocarbons, _and_ CO, _and_ NOX, all at the same time?) seem juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust a bit too good to be true.

Um, why is the relative humidity shown to be at "5160.0%" on the diesel test where 100% of particulates have disappeared? Hmmm... Is that due to a corruption by snake oil, or something? They really need to do something to verify the integrity of their test data before they sell me on the product.

I have no doubt that all of these technologies are somewhat beneficial to the running of engines and I've even used Slick 50, but I know that most of the stated benefits are hyped to the max. Invest accordingly, folks.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

If you go to the website you will see documentation on what I have stated. This stuff is for real and you will be amazed at the effects if you would decide to try it. This had been in use and in testing for over 5 years with emission tests done proving the emissions reductions.

Reply to
mshoars