Reamer RPM Chart?

Anyone have a good reamer RPM chart?

I usually figure 2/3 of drilling RPM, but that's not always good enough.

For instance, .885" dia. reamer into steel, shallow process only 3/4" stroke... I would normally run at 100RPM or so... But I'm guessing that is ultra conservative for some of you. :)

The reamer is removing .010" material if it matters.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Go to morse cutting tool's website. In their PDF catalog are some great charts we downloaded this week.

Jon

I thought that the conventional wisdom was half the speed and twice the feed-per-rev.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

That looks like a modern version of a pocket edition of a "Machinist's Practical Guide" that Morse published in 1980 and sold for $1.20. I got my copy for a quarter last summer complete with it's own supply of waterproofing oil. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Here`s a chart from one of the leading manufacturers,It`s in mm`s though.

Mark.

Reply to
mark

I usually go more like 1/4 to 1/3 of standard cutting RPM. Reamers change size as they get dull which means your (precision) fit will change agressively if you spin too fast. Chucking reamers are essentially not resharpenable.

As for feed, at *least* twice, typically more like 4x or more. Chucking reamers have a natural feed rate. Feed *hard*. The reamer will naturally restrict the downward force when you're feeding too hard and you'll feel this happen (not easy to do, BTW).

A lot of people run reamers incorrectly because they're used to drilling. Reamers typically have six or more flutes, and are removing very little material. When reamers are fed too lightly, they give inconsistant results.

Low RPM, push as hard as the reamer will allow. If your hole ends up too big, use a stone to *slightly* dull the flutes in order to control the hole size/fit. *Always* make a test hole if the fit is important, always use cutting oil, and never run the reamer in reverse.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

Fuggetabut all that bs. Just pretend you are reaming by hand (which is the traditional method): Plenty of oil; push and turn hard enough to take a bite; never reverse.

Here`s a chart from one of the leading manufacturers,It`s in mm`s though.

Mark.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Thanks to everyone for the info. Some was technical, some was experiential, some was rebuttalism, etc... All was appreciated.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill