recycling scrap gold

would i need a liecence to make ingots out of scrap gold?

Reply to
mewthree

HUH? You mean to put an imprint on them? I suppose if that imprint said "Credit Suisse" or something like that, then the answer is yes. If you just want to pour gold into a baking pan, the answer certainly is no for the US. I don't know about other countries.

I've been doing some recycling myself, and have a whole TEN GRAMS! (Umm, I had hoped to yield more from the process, and am still working on it.) 10 gm makes a pitifully small ingot!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

yes,

please send me $1,800,000.00 and I will send the license.

Reply to
Mark

Roll it out into a sheet!

Martin H. Eastburn

this belongs in the "joke" news groups. only kiding. the cheque is in the post.

Reply to
mewthree

No.

Abrasha

Abrasha

10 g is not even big enough to make a pour for an ingot. I usually just melt that amount in an indentation on a charcoal block on the bench like this,
The result is something like this:
Abrasha

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 23:42:30 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Mark" quickly quoth:

Don't listen to the top-posting man behind the curtain, Paul.

I supply that particular license for only $1,798.33, prepaid. Got my address?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yes, I've noticed, to my great dismay! I had expected to get a good deal more recovery than that. I'm still working on the process to be sure I'm not losing any of the gold in wash solutions, etc.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

A furnace works better.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Reply to
mewthree

For small amounts, an oxy/acetylene (or oxy/mapp) torch and a crucible is a lot more efficient.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

does anybody know if it is ok to make my own coins. ie bank of paul taylor? just for fun.

Reply to
mewthree

Sure. Go for your life. They'll be "tokens" however, not "coins".

So problem so long as you don't deliberately make them similar to legal tender - either visually or to fool a vending machine.

Hell - merchant's tokens are a whole 'nuther sphere of collecting.

Here's some that Kyle Mutcher, Canadian coin dealer, made for fun a little while ago:

ones are hand-struck - well, "sledge-hammer" struck actually.

-- Jeff R.

Reply to
Jeff R

Well, you can deliberately make them to be nearly exactly like the real thing, so long as you let people know that they are your own creation when you try and "cash" them..

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken