Reliable Tools in Irwindale out of business?

Did Reliable Tools in Irwindale go out of business? They do not have a web page nor do they answer the phone.

If they are in business would they have walk-in retail (I'm allergic to ebay and go-to-hell phones)?

Would this be the place to look for a medium size anvil?

mike

Reply to
nomail

I think Gunner, or someone, posted earlier this week or late last that Reliable had gone strictly internet.

Jim Chandler

Reply to
Jim Chandler

I know a lot of you guys don't believe this, but to me this is another sign that ebay is waning. Reliable was an ebay phenomenon, and now they're cutting back - what does that tell you?

I try to find something simple and generic like a cellphone car adapter. Five years ago there would have been 20 to choose from. Now there are lots, sold from China, but none sold used domestically. (This is a made up example, please don't pick it apart.)

I think craigslist is killing ebay. I used to sell a couple dozen items a year on ebay. This year I bet I've sold two or three max.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

You are right. Something is going on. Last week I attempted to buy a couple of 20" TVs for $100 ea. (as I did about 2 years ago) for other rooms of the house where I currently have $65 - 13" TVs all purchase about three years ago at Best Buy.

Now BB has no low end, Kmart and Target wanted $139 for crummy 13" and $200 for the worst 20". WTF is going on.

mike

Reply to
nomail

Hey Mike,

The follow> Stopped in Friday, hadnt been in that area for a couple months. >

Reply to
Brian Lawson

One thing of course is that the dollar is sinking all the time. The government doesn't care, because it makes our products more competitive. The administration claims that in general China is holding down prices rather than lose market share, although in your case it doesn't seem true.

Hope none of you guys feels like going to Europe soon. Yow!

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

SSSSSShit!!! Sounds like going out of business.

So where does one get a cheap medium size anvil without going to HF?

mike

Reply to
nomail

Try industrial liquidations in your area.

Ignoramus6186

I think ebay definitely has problems, but I don't think craigslist has anything to do with it. I've found craigslist to be close to worthless, at least in the several areas I've checked on it. I've found ebay to be better, but not without issues.

Reply to
Pete C.

We have products???

They are holding down prices. The problem is that the US retailers are marking the items up to make a killing compared to some of the better non-china, but still made in china like everything else brands.

I'm pretty sure non of us are nuts enough to head that way.

Reply to
Pete C.

Northern Tool, though it's the same stuff as HF for the most part.

Reply to
Pete C.

Harbor Freight no longer carries the 110 pound Russian anvils which were made of medium quality tool steel, sadly.

I don't know of *any* cheap usable anvils any more, unless you don't care how soft it is in which case just buy a cast iron anvil and be done with it. If you lay a kleenex tissue on it, though, it might sink in. :-)

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

How do you think the war and all the government spending is being paid for?

Reply to
john

They have no store in LA, Calif. Freight would be a killer for the 70 lbs

Reply to
nomail

I'm in LA, Calif - they are in San Diego.

Reply to
nomail

For my own purposes, I am very satisfied with a railroad rail with a flat rectangular piece of 4140 welded to it. Most of my anvil activity involves flattening bent things.

Ignoramus6186

That has been me speed also. I was contemplating more round and involved cold forming now. Perhaps something made of high strength concrete may do the trick .

Reply to
nomail

Look very much alive to me:

Check Harbor Freight, too.

D~

snipped-for-privacy@n> Did Reliable Tools in Irwindale go out of business?

__!__ -----o----- | |

-------------------------------------

##-----------------------------------------------# Delivered via

Community of the Ne Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - rec.crafts.metalworking - 82767 messages and counting ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
eaglemountstudios.com

On 11 Oct 2007 05:03:52 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, snipped-for-privacy@1-script.com (eaglemountstudios.com) quickly quoth:

I checked freight for an item and got this:

1 58066754 $1,035.2521100720$115.53$831.82$131.4315.8%$72.00

So, via Fedex, it's either $1,035, $115, $831, or $72ish.

And they wonder why their call volume is so high...

-- Ultimately, the only power to which man should aspire is that which he exercises over himself. -- Elie Wiesel

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Now you know why eBay bought craigslist.

And what's killing eBay is it's own success. You used to be able to find deals on eBay but now SO many people go there and bid things to ridiculous prices that it's not worth it anymore.

People like Reliable have figured out the can now cut out the middle man (eBay) and just go direct..

Capitalism at work...

--.- Dave

Reply to
Dave August