Repairing a broken magnesium mower deck

OK. Works for me...I guess.

Bueno, Bwana.

4hrs/week is a lot of time. Now that I've removed my entire front lawn and am using a rider, mowing takes me only 35-40 minutes a week.

I _wouldn't_ call it a hobby, so I'd object.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

EPA says 2-cycle=bad ju-ju. So no more new ones. The one Briggs book talks about getting cat converters stuffed into 4-cycle mowers, they're ready with golfball-sized ones.

If it were mine, I'd drill the end of the crack, polish it up and JB Weld a piece underneath.

Stan

Reply to
Stanley Schaefer

We used to TIG magnesium quite regularly when I was in the A.F.

Reply to
John B.

Yes, and you'd want to set up a back-side shield-gas flood system, too. Maybe a separate shield gas nozzle for the front side, too, and follow along behind the welding torch.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Jon Elson fired this volley in news:ttmdnc7wAMVCdjHMnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Jon, all that's been discussed before in this thread.

Both sides of the work must be shielded until the Mg is well below yellow heat, and that will involve either cabinet welding, or several nozzles.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

How about soldering it?

or use the "miracle sticks" you already have, if they are similar.

If you really want spare one, check ebay..

Kristian Ukkonen

Is there a local Freecycle group? Ask for one, if there is. The same with Craig's list or any free local ads. Hell, even Ebay has got into local ads. Someone may have one in a shed, or garage and they don't bother to list it, thinking no one wants it.

Michael A. Terrell