RFI: Bandsaws and vise wear

I have a buddy who is cutting about 2000 ft ea of

1.5 angle iron. 1.5 round tubing and 1 inch sq tubing on a Jet 7 x 12 H&V band saw each month. It is more cost effective for him to have an employee to cut the stock than have it cut by the supplier. The stock is cutting a groove in each face of the vise and the bed of the saw. The cost of replacing the vise jaws is small, the cost of replacing the bed of the saw is not so small. We were kicking around the idea of an abrasion resistant plate to attach to the vise jaws and the saw bed. Has anyone done this or what material would be suitable to do this?

regards, Jim

Reply to
JK

Dave

Why doesnt he adjust the down stop??????

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Ok, let me rephrase this. My fault.

1) It is much cheaper for Craig to cut his own stock than have it cut by the supplier. This is not the problem.

2) He is running 6000 ft of various stock through a Jet 7x12 band saw a month and the stock (not the blade) is wearing a groove in the cast iron vise faces and the the bed of the saw (this is the problem).

As a small project, we were thinking about facing each of the vise jaws and the bandsaw bed with an abrasion resisitant plate. Neither one of us has a clue what material to use or if there is a better way to answer the problem. He has adjusted the deadman roller guide infeed and outfeed conveyors as best he can to prevent bedwear but still has the problem.

Many thanks.

Jim

Reply to
JK

Reply to
anotherMike

A couple pieces flame or plasma cut out of an old plow blade.

Sacrificial mild steel plates that you replace as required.

A few HSS lathe bits or large carbide inserts brazed or mechanically fastened in strategic locations.

I've got some large round carbide inserts (1" OD x 1/4" thick?) with a thru hole that I'm not very attached to if you're interested. It'd be pretty easy to braze a threaded stud into the hole and screw them into holes tapped in the vise.

OTH, I think your friend might do well to shop around some more for a supplier who will precut the stock. It's hard for me to believe that his man using a little manual saw like that can compete with a large automated machine in the hands of a vendor who wants the job.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Try something like that available at

Assuming the fixed jaw stays square to the blade due to the constant wear pattern, you could cut away an area at each side under the moving jaw to attach the wear plates to the bed while leaving the center (down to the screw) intact.

Koz

Reply to
Koz

I'd get a welder to restore & hardface the surfaces. - GWE

Koz wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Reply to
Dave

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 13:46:49 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Ned Simmons quickly quoth:

That would probably be the quickest and cheapest solution.

30 minutes to make a dozen, 5 minutes to change out a pair of 'em.

That could be the key. If the vendor doesn't want (or doesn't have the time for) the task, he'll triple the price for cutting.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ah......just what I was looking for. Didn't know what to call it. Many thanks.

regards, Jim

Reply to
JK