Richmond Radial Drill wiring?

Hi,

I have a 1955 Richmond radial drill with Brookhirst switch gear etc. (I'm based in Baldock, England, UK). Unfortunately I can't tell you what model etc the drill is. But looking on the internet it seems to be similar to the SR2.

Please check out images:

I need a wiring diagram or something for the main junction box, so I know where to connect the incoming 3phase etc. Terminals A, B D and E seem to be the only ones with nothing connected to them, at least on this side of the board (can't see behind). But I really don't know where it should go.

Also can anyone tell me what the various components in this box actually do please?

Any help gratefully received!

Junction box details: Donovan Electrical, Birmingham B33 9BU (division of Brookhirst Igranic Ltd) No. AIE114/727 Control Volts: 100/110 Stator Volts: 400/440 H.P.: 3 Max Phase: 3 Hz: 50

Thanks and regards,

Ronnie Shipman

Reply to
rshipman

Where is the power for the 110vt control circuitry coming from?

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

[ ... ]

It looks to me as though it is derived from the transformer under the big terminal board in the upper left corner.

At a guess, two of the three phases come in to the left-hand end of the fuses near the bottom edge of that board, but I'm not sure where the third connects.

As for identifying things there -- to the right of the transformer near the top appears to be a fairly small relay, and some unidentifiable stuff just below it. (A different angle of view might help here, as well as with the contactors.)

To the right of that board, I see what looks like at least four (and maybe actually six) really old selenium rectifiers (the grey square things with bolts pointing out. Six of them would make more sense as a full-wave bridge for three phase. (For a single section, there should be about 20V per plate, so for a 440V one, that calls for 22 plates stacked up. (It may be that the rectifiers are for the 120 VAC out of the transformer, which would call for only 6 plates per rectifier.) Count the terminals on the selenium rectifiers. If there are three terminals, it is likely a stack of two sharing a common terminal. If an even number of terminals, then the rectifiers are probably sharing a common center bolt, but independent (at least before wiring together into perhaps a bridge).

However -- these say that the machine is quite old, as anything perhaps since the 1970s should have silicon rectifiers instead of selenium ones.

Below the big transformer, and below the rectifiers, I see what

*looks* like three contactors of a single design. The two below the big transformer are probably interlocked, so you can drive the spindle motor in forward or reverse. The third one (below the rectifiers) may be an overall power control.

Below that appears to be a different contactor under a terminal strip -- but it might be a smaller transformer. A view from other angles might help a bit for all of the things which I consider contactors.

Is that really a puddle of coolant in the bottom of the box? If so, it badly needs draining -- and perhaps a permanent drain fitted.

Where do the power wires come in -- is that a cable clamp/feedthrough above the big transformer?

And what is the DC (from the rectifiers) needed for -- perhaps to run DC motors to position the head on the arm, and perhaps to run the arm up and down the column?

All guesses without being there to examine (and buzz out) the wiring.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols