Rimless cartridge question

Yes.

With standard SAAMI loads, the pressure is pretty low -- in the .218 Bee range. But the .357 Mag's cartridge-case walls are thicker than those of the .32 S&W Long.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

If I remember the .25 ACP has a primer. It might be mentioned that the quick draw crowd that uses/used wax bullets used a rifle primer and no powder to fire wax bullets. If he is trying to match the ballistics of a .22 CB it might be a solution.

Reply to
John B.

Maybe. I don't especially like those things -- I've fired .32 S&W Short and Long; .32 H&R Magnum; .38 Spl.; and .45 ACP with wax bullets and primers, using both a special wax made for the job and plain paraffin. They shot OK in my Ruger SSM, but not in my DA revolvers or my 1911 Colt. They either broke up or gave unreliable accuracy. But maybe some people have had better luck with them.

I'll tell you something that worked really well, though: a tiny pinch of Red Dot and a round ball, pressed down in the case. I only tried that with the .38, but it shot straight. It was too loud for my basement, though. One neighbor's house is about 8 feet away.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I've only tired that (with the wax sold for the task) with .38 special, and with the .22 Jet. The latter I used in my apartment to get roaches which would retreat into the corner of the ceiling of the bathroom, and wave their feelers at me, saying "You can't swat us here

-- to much obstruction." (Maybe so -- but the wax load did quite well for the job. I didn't have any really long range shots, but what I did use it for it was sufficiently accurate. :-)

Note that I always did the "cookie cutter" loading when the wax was comfortably warm. (Shortly after melting and pouring it.) Cold would be likely to fracture during the process.

I've been saving wax from Gouda cheese, and I think that it might work well for the task, too. Perhaps it is time to try that again.

I also got roaches who ran back between the bottles of developing chemicals in the kitchen -- but for that I used a hypodermic syringe loaded with 1,1,1 Trichloroethane (otherwise used for developing printed circuit boards. :-) No harm to the bottles, but one touch of the stuff and the roach was on its back. A water pistol might have been more convenient, but the stuff would dissolve the pistol before I could bring it to bear. :-)

Hmm ... I've got some intersting "bullets" which work well for that in .38 special. The bullet is black plastic (Delrin, perhaps?) and the cartridge is red plastic with a primer pocket for large pistol primers, instead of the small pistol primers appropriate for .38 Spl. Target was mounted on a large cardboard box, with an old towel hanging inside it to shed energy and drop them to the bottom of the box. They

*would* go through the box cardboard, and would probably be also quite painful if you got hit with one.

I'm actually one bullet short -- perhaps I should try turning up replacements from Delrin?

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Ohmigod. You should write an article about it if it works: "Gouda Bullets for Indoor Roach Hunting" I thought I'd try melting some beeswax with the paraffin, but I lost interest in the whole thing. It's very illegal here and my wife could hear even the primer-only loads from outdoors.

You have a fresh take on very small-game hunting there, Don....

I've seen those plastic/plastic rounds in a catalog. Again, I have a serious noise and legal problem with it.

Another article! d8-)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

No chance to test it now. The hunting was back when I lived in an apartment -- and as soon as one of the other 11 apartments in the building got sprayed, the roaches would flood to all the other apartments. (They really should have done all the apartments at once.

I used a Navy surplus bug bomb just before moving to the house with my (then to be) wife, and we haven't seen any here since we moved in -- about 1975. :-)

Maybe the resident cats keep them out of sight. I know that they occasionally find a cricket and play with it until there are parts scattered around.

Hmm ... could it be told from the sound of a mousetrap snapping from outside? But if it is illegal there, probably not a good idea anyway.

Why illegal? The connection to "quick-draw"? I didn't have that connection when I got mine -- just for indoor target shooting. And Virginia is a lot more relaxed about firearms. :-)

Had -- back when I had targets. Just as glad to not have them, now. :-)

A pity. Perhaps move to someplace where things are a bit more relaxed? :-)

Hardly worth it -- unless it has serious problems to be overcome. I wish that I could get similar ones for the .22 Jet (S&W revolver, not the later Thompson Contender barrels, which take higher pressures.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Exactly what I have. It hasn't sold priced at $350

Reply to
Tom Gardner

My neighbors know that I have guns and (used to) do a lot of target shooting. They'd know. The neighbor on the other side wouldn't care -- he was from Iowa, was a corporate CEO, and had a collection of dozens of high-class shotguns. The other-side neighbor is...the other side.

NJ has lots of weird gun laws. We can only target-shoot on certified ranges. Part of that is sensible, because we have the highest population density in the country. And part of it is just the consequence of accumulated paranoia.

Not any time soon. Where I live is just too convenient for anyone in the publishing industry who also loves saltwater fishing, New York art and museums, and so on. It would be hard for me now to move to the more rural areas in which I grew up. Easier hunting and target-shooting isn't enough to make up for it.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I think that the wax bullets were so as to NOT use lead bullets :-)

I don't remember but I think that the quick draw guys were shooting at pretty close range. I don't remember the details but I think the point was to shoot at something and hit a target of some sort to avoid one of the contestants firing as soon as the muzzle cleared the holster which was not what quick draw was supposed to be :-)

Reply to
John B.

That's actually pretty reasonable , I sold one to my youngest son a while back for a good bit more . But that was right after the '12 elections and everybody was runnin' scared . That was a Tula reman (I think , or NOS - stamped 1957 ) with all matching numbers and he got a couple hundred rounds with it .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Where do you have it listed? I just disposed of a Chinese copy for $450.00 !

Reply to
Steve W.

Where did *YOU* list it, I only put a flier up on the BB at my club.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I had it on Gun Broker and the Want Ad Digest. Sold through Want Ad.

Actually had it listed at $500.00 OBO.

Reply to
Steve W.

looks to be a lot of bidding actrivity for SKS on gun broker

Karl Townsend

It might be well worth it to list it there.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Never heard of a Hawkeye before...HOW COOL!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I wonder if seeing or handling something like this is what gave the gentle nudge to the guys at Taurus to develop the Judge.

Your old Ohiobrush email is no longer working. Please send update if you wish me to have it.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I've sent you a bunch of e-mails from an address I use, I'll send again.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

[ ... ]

You've had quite a few, then. Have you ever seen one with the bayonet blued? That is what I have, FWIW. Just my luck as one of a group at work who ordered some at the same time. All the other had plain bayonets. All Russian manufacture and old enough, so they could keep the folding bayonets.

Agreed.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I'm not sure either. At this point I am just thinking about what would be required for a rimless cartridge and if it would be worth the effort. Timewise it would seem to be a waste but I like making things, especially out of metal, and I like shooting. Having a machine shop and being a machinist makes it easier to make things. All the comments posted so far relating to my first post have been a good education. Eric

Reply to
etpm