Roll up door installation question

In my relentless efforts to make the County happy...I have to close off one end of my carport.."no one driving by wants to look at those ugly machines" (end exact verbal quote of lady inspector)

I scored a nice steel roll up door, was told it was 10' wide..but its

12' 5" wide x 7 feet tall.

The problem is...my carport is 11' 1.5" wide with a roof line that tapers from 11' down to 7' 6'

I know Im gonna have to cut it down in width..but the problem comes in that the roll above the opening is about 15" in diameter...requireing the opening at its smallest to be 8' 3" tall....and its only 7'6"

Now I can cut the door narrower..by about 3' to clear the tapering roofline and making the rollup door about 9' wide, ...or I can mount the roll on the OUTSIDE of the carport...letting the roll be above the roofline on one end, and then box it in to hide the roll. Not gonna be pretty..but.."the ugly machines wont be visible from the street" and I can make the box out of OSB covered light square tubing, and paint it to match the house.

Are there any bad downsides to doing this? Other than having a gap that might have what little rain we have here (4" a year) run down the inside of the door...... and I might be able to flash it a bit with sheet metal

I Could lift the roofline the 9ish inches necessary to clear the roll..but it would look really really wierd being done on one end..and leave a wide gap above the rain gutter on that end for a few feet.

I put a 4x6 steel tube on the two 4" steel posts that follows the roof line

and lifting the roof metal would be really ugly at that point, plus I will be putting in a matching bit of OSB to seal off the tapered portion

Lastly..I could lower the roll, and give myself a door opening about

6' 5" tall, and put the roll inside. Given that Im 6'3+ in boots and often wear a cowboy hat.......

In the pictures..the horizontal 2x4 is at 7' and is only there to be a common reference point as "grade" has a slight angle down to the building. The lot is low at the rear..and at the left side....the roofline is almost 3' higher above ground at the rear end....sigh

The bottom of the 2x4 is where the bottom of the "box" hiding the roll would be and the box would be full width and would cross below the roof line at about 4' to the left of the right hand post..about 17" x

17" in cross section and extend a bit past both posts.

What to do..what to do????

Gunner, who has to put this up Sunday...

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great moral crisis maintain their neutrality", John F. Kennedy.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Why not leave the door the width it is and install it outside of your car port all together.

What I am picturing is building a frame that is higher and wider than your current opening and then you can just put some side walls and a small roof section to fill the gap. This way you would not loose any space but rather gain a bit around the edges.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Gunner - stick it up on the outside of the carport, which, from the look of it, will be improved by something hiding it a bit.... (and its easier - KISS -just don't get too bogged down in being technical...)

Mines been exposed to the weather for years now, same sort of thing - in front of carport - doesn't worry it - this ones been up for about 5 years now, my wife demolished the last one by backing into it when it was closed.. A legitimate use for a 9 inch angle grinder...good fun....amused the neighbours no end....

Andrew VK3BFA.

Reply to
vk3bfa

I would make some lightweight wooden doors/panels in a sliding or swinging configuration (or even removable).

Putting that rollup there, especially if it doesn't fit, will not be an improvement and the guvmint will come back and find something else for you to do....

Reply to
ATP*

You have a bunch of inferred requirements in there, including a schedule deadline of Sunday (today).

The reason for doing it is to provide visual concealment to satify the county ... right? So mount the thing like a windowshade in front of the opening, nevermind whether it fits or is raintight. All the county requires is a screen -- and you've gotten along so far with nothing but an open hole there. Right?

Reply to
Don Foreman

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 00:37:00 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner Asch quickly quoth:

She's probably an Aprhodite lookalike herself, eh?

That makes for tricky top hinging. (Yes, I'm kidding, you A/Rs.)

You're worried about "pretty" on a several decade old trailer in Taft, Fort Stinkin'Desert?

Gunner, just weld up a pair of tapered 1" square steel frames and cover them with galv roofing or white corrugated fiberglass. Instant doors. White FG will allow daylight through. Aw, shit. I forgot about the rise in the driveway to the street. Well, start them a foot high. It still covers the "ugly machines".

Cheap, lightweight, usable.

So mount a pair of bedsheets in the interim.

-- It is pretty hard to tell what does bring happiness; poverty and wealth have both failed. -- Kin Hubbard

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Other ideas for the artwork:

1: Blow up a picture of the woman giving you grief, and make a big dart board. Then paint a couple darts, right in her forehead. ;-)

2: Photoshop her head onto a chimp.

-----

Have your lady freinds write her name and office phone number in restrooms, trolling for a butch lesbian who is willing to try S&M.

Go to the local biker bars and tell them she is not only going to have them all closed, but she intends to burn them all down. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

My first inclination would be to argue with the county that "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

Mentally of course be prepared to make some changes... I like the idea of a bedsheet curtain across the middle of the carport. Or just toss some camouflage tarpaulin over it. Ugly machinery indeed. All machinery is beautiful if it functions as required in a minimalist sort of way. Otherwise it is an ornament or statue to wastefulness.

How about a sign in front of the carport with the admonition "Looking This Way Verboten; County Deems Ugly".

If you really want ugly look at some of "modern art".

If the roll-up door is strictly to appease the county lady I wouldn't do it... What is next? The colour scheme of your house and car clash?

Writing a few letters is a lot less effort that putting up that door :-)).

Wolfgang

Reply to
wfhabicher

Ahumphf! Manufactured home....top of the line!...once...

Id planned on putting in a pair of barn doors..but that damned rise in the drive way kicked my ass. Swinging 5' 6" (each door) means that they hit dirt about 4' out.....hence the roll up door thingy. My forklift is 6' 7"....was hoping to keep being able to use it...if you remember..the carport gets taller the farther back you go to the rear by several feet..but sliding the forklift in from the rear means moving LOTS of stuff just to get to the front.

I think Ill go ahead and put up the roll up door across the outside and if Aphrodite doesnt like it..she can put it in writing. Im already out several thousand $ putting up fences, moving out Stuff and so forth. The roll up door only cost me some a bit in gas to go get it.

Thanks guys

Gunner

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great moral crisis maintain their neutrality", John F. Kennedy.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 10:13:33 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner Asch quickly quoth:

Yeah, that's what I said, "Trailer." ;)

That's why I mentioned starting it at a foot from the ground, thinking that might be enough clearance. Alternatively, put in a set of 2' wide accordion-folding doors which would roll on a track at the top.

OK, G'luck! Let's hope she doesn't say it's ugly, too.

Jewelcome.

-- It is pretty hard to tell what does bring happiness; poverty and wealth have both failed. -- Kin Hubbard

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"Gunner Asch" wrote: (clip) Im

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ So. this isn't the beginning, and it may not be the end. I recently went through something similar, on a much smaller scale. One of my neighbors complained about "debris in the driveway." This escalated to debris on the front porch, and then even included the neatness of the books visible through the front window. Then another inspector shows up and he's concerned about weeds and some other stuff. I got it all cleaned up in a week, but the point is that once they get on your case, THEY are the ones who decide when you are in compliance. And, if you check, you will probably find they have codes to back them up. What they want is for your property to blend into the neighborhood and look nice. Stuff that seemed okay for years is now over the line. It's like a toggle switch--once you have toggled over you have to toggle back. I know a guy who lost his house because he didn't clean up his property. It ended up being condemned, believe it or not.

Beauty may be in the eyes of the beholder, but the beholder with the most clout is the "best" judge.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Right - "no accounting for taste" is a principle of law.

But, it anti-ugly ordinances can be worded in other terms. Like "no open storage of industrial equipment in a residential zone". Where "open storage" means visible. Very likely this is the sort of thing that they're using on Gunner.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

And don't forget to put pictures of nekkid wimmin on the front doing disgusting things. Refer to US Constitution for justification.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

What is she going to do about all that nasty old oil field equipment?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

-------------------------------------------------------------- Home Page:

If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes Doubt yourself, and the real world will eat you alive The world doesn't revolve around you, it revolves around me No skeletons in the closet; just decomposing corpses

-------------------------------------------------------------- Dependence is Vulnerability:

-------------------------------------------------------------- "Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal" "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.."

Reply to
JR North

"Gunner Asch" wrote: {clip) Id planned on putting in a pair of barn doors..but that damned rise in

Since barn doors would solve the problem much more simply, how about this idea: mount them on posts that are set into the ground at 90 degrees to the ground instead of vertical. That way, when you swing them open, the bottom of the doors stays above the ground.

Another idea: cut the bottom of the doors at an angle, so they swing all the way open without hitting. Make a sort of tail-gate like door that fills the space at the bottom of the doors. Or they could hinge upward and latch when you need to open the doors. Or you could build a planter box on casters that covers the gap at the bottom. While you're at it, put a couple of nice planters on each side of the driveway, so the whole thing looks coherent. The authorities want to see "nice, neat and pretty."

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

No..not a trailer. Wood siding, shingle roof, sunken bath and $54k in

1982 isnt a trailer.

They cost a fair amount of change to be usable outside. Not in the cards.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great moral crisis maintain their neutrality", John F. Kennedy.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Zoned Commercial/Industrial..and they generate much more revenue than my little homestead does...so it will remain

Gunner

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great moral crisis maintain their neutrality", John F. Kennedy.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Just make her disappear.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Chuckle..the old inspector..when he started going around and letting people know that they were goinna start tightening up..rode around for

3 months with an armed female deputy as backup.

Folks here didnt take kindly to them pushing their weight around too hard..in fact..its been said that he was taken off the case and a grandmother type put on the case because of the residents taking not too kindly to him...and his body guard.

Shrug Its an odd area...and a heavily armed one.

Gunner