Router Air Movement (How Much is for Cooling?)

Ok, as some of you know I am using Bosch Colt Routers as spindles on my Taig and on my MaxNC mills for cutting aluminum. The Bosch Colt routers like most wood routers (all?) have an internal fan that blows downward around the cutter. It fantastic for doing wood work as it blows the sawdust away from the work piece and allows you to see what you are doing. Its even helpful to some degree when doing aluminum work dry as it helps blow the aluminum chips away.

However since I have started using flood lubricant I think it is contributing substantially to oil mist (the Taig is in a full enclosure now and the MaxNC will be when I have time to build one) and wasted lubricant. I still get enough flowing on the cutter to do a great job and wash the chips aside, but whenever I am using a small short cutter you can really see the lubricant fly on the cameras.

There is a cylinder protruding below the fan outlets that I could easily make an air deflector to clamp on so that the air does not blow onto my lubricant discharge nozzle at all, but instead blows outward away from the spindle area. My only concern is that this might restrict air flow to much and cause the router to run hotter than it should. They do run routinely for 7-10 hours non stop.

Wadda ya think? The gap between the deflector and the fan ports would only be about .250" but it would still be all the way around.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

No way to tell for certain but to try it, IMHO.

A: Got a thermometer, perhaps one of those "trendy two years ago" point and shoot ones? Take some readings on an unmodified router during the corse of a workday. Do the same thing with a modified one, see if it's noticeably hotter.

B: assuming you burn through routers anyway, and have a usual hour range for that, modify a new one and see if it dies early.

C: A, then B if A doesn't look absurd.

D: actually, if you have a spare input that would take it, a thermal sensor on the motor might be a good thing to have in place all the time.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

I replace brushes moderately often. The ones I get from e-replacement parts do seem to last longer than the originals. Not sure when the bearings are going to go, but I have one that is getting warm in the nose. Its probably about due. I do have an NCT around somewhere.

Burn through? I don't now. I have atleast a few hundred hours on both of them. More on one. I suppose I should keep better track. Brushes yes. Bearings on one soon probably. I have been thinking about replacing them with a slightly more power Porter Cable router... and that router is on sale right now from Grizzly. Of course then I probably have to make new mounts.

Hmmmm... a temperature controller could always be wired into the e-stop circuit I suppose. Gotta look and see what other input options I can program. Estop is not good if motors are moving at full speed when you hit it. Now if I could program a feed hold and spindle stop that might be ok.

I did pickup a couple temperature controllers recently, but those are dog eared for another project.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

[...]

Doesn't Mach3 have a spindle hour meter function in it somewhere? I seem to recall that it might, if not once could certainly be added.

Reply to
Pete C.

Not that I am aware of, but I will look. It has a job hour meter, but it resets as soon as you start/load another run.

Reply to
Bob La Londe