Safety chain

And that excess clipped away would be for what purpose?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

My main concern is what did the bear standing in the woods next to the freeway see and hear? And what would be HIS "function" in the equation?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I'm pretty sure the bear would be scratching his head wondering why Mr. Clarke just HAS to win this non-argument.

Reply to
rangerssuck

I watched a trailer come loose and veer across three lanes of 65MPH traffic on US101 in Gilroy a decade ago. It was a miracle that nobody hit it, before it jumped the shoulder and hit a shed along the frontage road.

Preventing that is the goal of safety chains.

Scott Lurndal

Substitute INCIDENT for ACCIDENT and Bob's your mother's brother.

Reply to
clare

So, just don't have an accident. It's not that hard - just make sure that whatever you do, you do it on purpose. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

AND, if you're alone on a deserted woodsy stretch of Interstate, does it make a sound?

You're DEEP, JC.

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

In case you need it in the future. In any case it's a lot easier to snap on a 50 cent carabiner than cut the chain.

Reply to
J. Clarke

So the safety chains are there to protect against "incidents"?

Reply to
J. Clarke

"J. Clarke" wrote

The way that the chain is put on to the shackle with two links on the pin is incorrect rigging wise. And that 50 cent carabineer will likely never be found in case of an incident. You might as well use baling wire and save fifty cents.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

True enough. Unless one uses a $40 carabiner

Gunner, who has a number of $40 carabiners....

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Ooooh!! Indeed! Kharmic!!!

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Have you always been such an ass or did you have to study?

technomaNge

Reply to
Comrade technomaNge

No, they are to prevent "incidents" from turning into "accidents" I dropped the camping trailer off the ball one day and the properly installed chain kept the trailer behind me untill I pulled over and rehitched.

My brother's boat tailer came off his pickup and the improperly installed chains allowed the trailer to make one heck of a mess of the back of his truck, as well as damaging the prow of the boat. He was able to get the truck in front of the loose runaway trailer and get both stopped, together, just off the side of the road with the tongue of the trailer in the box of the truck, through the tailgate.

My incident was just an incident. His was an incident with damage - which could also be loosely classed as an accident.

If either had gotten away, they would likely have caused a real accident.

Reply to
clare

He's likely got his BA or BS without the ci

Reply to
clare

Plonk. You've not contributing, you're trolling. Say hi to my filters.

Reply to
TinLizziedl

What's the name of those that use a screw type closure? I've always had bad luck with them deforming if a big load was put on them, or the threads getting boogered. They just don't seem that strong, but the rigging experiences I dealt with were up to 350 tons. Never saw one there, but saw six inch shackles. (6" dia. pin.)

I know the carabiners they use for climbing are good, but one does not see a lot of them in the regular market, and the keychain types would be lucky to hold 25#.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

My SIL got a darn nice "hole" in the back gate of his new Denali right by the latch from the tongue of a trailer he was hauling a Joyner Trooper UTV on. Seems he didn't push down the lever that locks the ball on there. Doh!

He's just a tad hyper when it comes time to go.

Nice "hole." Nice. He's jackknifed two of my trailers, so he's pretty much banned from my stuff.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I have a box of Miller safety carabiners and stuff of that sort for tree climbers. They are plenty strong. The best part is I got them from a trash pile (at Fermilab), for free obviously.

For attaching safety chains to the truck, though, I would just use latch hooks.

Ignoramus655

Which "two links on the pin"?

What of it? It is not structural, its only purpose is to keep the loose end from dragging on the ground.

Baling wire will work fine.

Reply to
J. Clarke