Screw compressor oil

I have an old Sullair tow behind screw compressor, powered by a John Deere diesel engine.

The compressor oil in it appears to be all dirty.

I have a can of 5 gallon of "Kaeser Sigma 460" screw compressor oil. Would such an oil work in this Sullair screw compressor? How specialized are those oils?

I would prefer not to spend money buying new screw compressor oil, it is expensive.

Thanks

Reply to
Ignoramus10120

Screw compressor oils are VERY specific. Contact Sullair and get the book for the machine. It will tell you the allowable oils. Use the wrong weight or base stocks and you can easily score the rotor seals and damage the scrolls.

I just wandered over to

They show 8 different oils for Sullair screw airheads. Looked up the sullair numbers. None of them are the same viscosity as the oil you have.

My old Atlas Copco uses a synthetic 5W-20.

Reply to
Steve W.

Gee, what did compressor oil ever do to you!

Mikek :-)

Reply to
amdx