selling steel

An acquaintanance of mine had a machine shop and is wondering what is the easiest method of disposing of his steel stock.? He has about 100# of A-2 in sizes from 1/4" x 1/2" to 1" x 4" in various lengths up to 3' ,other tool steel, mild steel, 100# of stainless and other allows to a total of 600#. Engineman

Reply to
Engineman1

The easiest method is to throw it into the dumpster. It has a scrap value of about $14.00

Reply to
larsen-tools

correction....... $64.00

Reply to
larsen-tools

$4.00/ hundred, steel $10.00/ husdred, s.s.

Reply to
larsen-tools

I forgot to mention that he lives in Santa Cruz Ca. Engineman1

Reply to
Engineman1

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Engineman1) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m13.aol.com:

Rather than tossing it, offer it up to the guys here. Perhaps there is someone nearby that can come and get it.

Reply to
Marty Escarcega

If he lives in Santa Cruz lower the rates because, they have to truck it to an international seaport. I was talking about San Diego.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
larsen-tools

If you want to get rid of it in bulk, put it on eBay starting at 0.01 for local pickup where-is. You will get what it is worth as surplus nowadays, maybe .10/lb or so.

If you want to "retail" it one item at a time, the value of this stuff is too dilute to make it worth your time, assuming your time is worth anything.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

If in Santa Cruz area, there are a couple of Home Shop Machinists clubs in the area. West Valley Live Steamers (meets 4th Fri of month at Agilent HQ building on Stevens Creek Blvd. 7:30PM) and there is another group that meets in Saratoga? If not in any hurry, send me a note with list and I will take to next meeting and let people know. Gene (remove nospam) snipped-for-privacy@attglobal.net

Reply to
Gene Martin