sharpen a pencil sharpener?

The discussion about sharpening taps in the "old taps and dies, worth anything?" thread brings to mind a question of mine.

I've got a couple of old planetary style pencil sharpeners which tend to chew up pencils and leave the wood all rough. I'm wondering if this is a case of the blades needing sharpening or something else.

I know how to take the sharpeners apart, but I don't know how I'd go about sharpening the many small curved blades on the cylinders.

Suggestions?

Elijah

------ mostly sharpens pencils with a utility knife these days

Reply to
Eli the Bearded

The standard way is to take a strip of fine emery cloth, wrap it around the cutters, holding the ends of the strip in one hand, and crank the sharpener with the other.

It sort of works. You now have a zero-rake pencil sharpener, but if it was really dull, you had a negative-rake pencil sharpener before sharpening it.

I've done it. It's Ok, but not great. Anything else requires a tool grinder as big as a dishwasher.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Buy a new sharpener . Decent electric units are reasonable at just about any office supply - and even on eBay .

Reply to
Snag

about sharpening the many small curved blades on the cylinders.

Get your new sharpener here:

or here:
Works great!

Reply to
David

And tiny tiny little wheels. Both in diameter and in thickness.

  1. Lie
Gunner

Ayup. There Id have to agree. Check second hand stores as well.

Or you can buy the little single edged blade sharpeners from the 99c store..something like 5 for a dollar. They work surprisingly well.

I have several wall mounted crank operated sharpeners that the grandkids use. I tend to simply grab one of the above from a drawer and be done in a couple seconds.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Sometimes, if you don't push as hard on the pencil, the grind is smoother.

Spray the blades with clear silicone spray. Might help.

.

I've got a couple of old planetary style pencil sharpeners which tend to chew up pencils and leave the wood all rough. I'm wondering if this is a case of the blades needing sharpening or something else.

I know how to take the sharpeners apart, but I don't know how I'd go about sharpening the many small curved blades on the cylinders.

Suggestions?

Elijah

------ mostly sharpens pencils with a utility knife these days

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Somewhere around here I have a spare set of cutters for the old "Boston" sharpener that came out of an abandonned school. It was probably left because the celuloid strip forming the curved part of the shaving container had disintegrated (easily replaced, it just snaps into place) the cutters were in the back of the cabinet to which the sharpener was attached.

Reply to
grmiller

snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Nah... you can do it on a 'cheap' Darex E-90, with the regular wheel. But it's got to be dressed to a sharp edge on the shoulder, and re-dressed frequently.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

One of mine is like that..over a 5 gallon bucket. Works fine.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

With a spiral pattern that sharp????

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Look into how to grind and hone endmills and reamers.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

If you've got the patience, I suppose you could go over each and every tooth with a diamond hone, they make smaller ones for just that sort of thing. Mark each tooth with a Sharpie to see where you're hitting. I've used Arkansas stones on smaller adjustable reamers to get all the flutes to engage. It's just tedious. That's if you've got more time than money. Unless it's a family heirloom pencil sharpener, just get a new one.

Stan

Reply to
Stanley Schaefer

Sharpen a suitable piece of Cratex rubberized abrasive to a point. Might sharpen as it sharpens? Hey...there's a business opportunity in here somewhere!

Reply to
PCS

I think this suggestion wins for ingenuity. Wonder if it would work, though.

Elijah

------ and a sharpened rod of Cratex would have it's own uses

Reply to
Eli the Bearded