Sheet metal & Jeep question

The words "Jeep" on the side of Jeep CJs is embossed with the letters painted on top. Actually the raised surface is more like Joop with the 'e's put on. My Jeep project CJ-7 is "Jeep Deere", Green & Yellow. I was toying with the idea of adding the word "Deere" below the word "Jeep", on raised sheetmetal like the original. I suppose it would look like "Dooro" then the letters would go on top.

I considered bondo, but I don't think it would work at that thickness. I might be able to do it in lead and I even considered doing it with a body hammer, carefully. I have the skills, but I'm afraid that I might get the sheetmetal too thin after I sand & grind.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Reply to
Jeepers

Try out the body hammer thing with some scrap. Do it against a sandbag or better yet against a block of pitch. If you like what you see when you're done, you know what to do.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Have someone cut the lettering out with a CNC plasma cutter and use either the cut out letters and attach them to the sheetmetal or use the negative to hammer and dolly them into a piece of 20 ga CR and weld that to your Jeep. I can do this for you if you would like to contact me off list.

speter00000000000at000000000000000000wcta00000dot0000net Steve

Reply to
Steve Peterson

Reply to
Dave Milne

Maybe cut the letters out of sheetmetal, chamfer the edges, weld in place.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Cut out "letters" in some sheet of whatever thickness you need to get them to the same height as the existing "Joop". Weld/rivet/bolt them onto the flat sheet metal and use filler or lead to get the contours right.

Not ideal, but should work.

-- Joe

-- Joseph M. Krzeszewski Mechanical Engineering and stuff snipped-for-privacy@wpi.edu Jack of All Trades, Master of None... Yet

Reply to
jski

Best die material, IMHO, would be Micarta....

Reply to
Gene Kearns

This is what I'd LIKE to do. The downside is having to duplicate it on the other side. Thanks for the sandbag and pitch tips!

Reply to
Jeepers

In article

This sounds like there is a consensus. I'll think about these ideas.

Thanks!

I wouldn't complain if anyone else contributed! ;^0

Reply to
Jeepers

Get some hard maple and carve the letters in it and then use that as a pattern for the panel. Try the job on some scrap sheetmetal first so you get the routiine. If you end up with some roughness in the face of the letters, you can always bondo that flat without any problems as it will be thin. Good luck!

Bob May

cut out the letters in duct tape then clear coat it!

Reply to
SteveBrady

Along with the sand bag and pitch suggestions I would add that a shot bag might be better. The shot bag is a leather bag filled with lead shot. The bag is made of three pieces. Two discs and a strip of leather. The discs are sewn to the strip to make a round bag with straight sides. But what may work better is to cut letters out of sheet that is as thick as the depression is deep. The letters should have the edges radiused on one side. Then, press the letters into the back side of the sheetmetal while supporting the the other side with polyurethane. See

for an explanation of this process. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Jeepers proclaimed:

Do you have any local hobby groups that could help you with light metal casting? Is quite easy to do with just the heat available from a stove or barbeque. Can be done into sand or lost wax style mold.

Reply to
Lon

Reply to
john johnson

Make the letters from metal stock maybe 1/4" thick (or the approximate "thickness" of the Joop) and pre-drill each letter. Then using short sheet metal screws, attach from the inside of the Jeep. Just a thought. Have to find some easy metal to work with and jig it, aluminum maybe?

Reply to
Jp Davis

How about this. Talk to a water jet shop and have them cut you the Dooro letters out of an appropriate thickness of steel. After these are cut, grind a radius on them and weld or screw them to a thicker plate.

Sandwich a piece of soft body steel between your die and a chunk of rubber and stick it in a big press. Make the blank a little bigger than you want and then cut out the Spot you want next to the Jeep logo and position the plate and cut it to fit your hole. Weld all around and grind flush.

You can probably go to a sign shop and have them cut some vinyl letters to finish the job or cut a paint mask you can peel off.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf