Sheet metal tool advice sought

I prototype antennas (of my design) in my metalworking shop. Having sheet metal capability is becoming important, and I don't have any. I talked to a friend about the 30" three-in-one sheet metal machines, such as the Grizzly, and he recommended against it. He thought I would be happier with a box brake and a shear.

A couple of years ago I was at the Boeing Restoration Hangar near Seattle (anyone from there reading this??). I walked past a nice pair of tools that were probably 24" wide. I don't remember the name on them, but they were nice quality, and small enough to fit in my limited space. I think a full size brake and shear is too much for me, and I can drive 15 min to borrow same should the need arise.

A notcher may be a good idea, too.

Most of my work will be with aluminum, sometimes brass.

What are your thoughts? Are the 3-in-1 sheet metal machines worth looking at? Is one brand better than the other? What is a good source for the smaller size brakes and shears?

Thanks for your wisdom.

-Spencer

Reply to
Spencer

The only 3-in-1 (roller/break/guilotine) I've used was from Harbour Freight and the slip roll part of it was rubbish.

The rollers were too skinny -- so when you rolled sheet it was more tightly curved at the ends than in the middle :-(

What's more, the sheer pin in the roller handle kept breaking every two minutes even when I replaced it with some drill-rod.

-- you can contact me via

Bruce Simpson

Spencer, I don't know if you have purchased any equipment yet,but thought I would recommend a brand I used in the aerospace industry.

The brand type was Bandit. They sell a number of different brake sizes and are not really cheap, however I never needed to put any money into the one I bought in the eight years I used it.

The size of my brake was 24" wide. It had mic type back gage, and 20 ton capacity.

Hope this helps?

Robert Stewart

Reply to
Robert Stewart

Spencer, I don't know if you have purchased any equipment yet,but thought I would recommend a brand I used in the aerospace industry.

The brand type was Bandit. They sell a number of different brake sizes and are not really cheap, however I never needed to put any money into the one I bought in the eight years I used it.

The size of my brake was 24" wide. It had mic type back gage, and 20 ton capacity.

Hope this helps?

Robert Stewart

Reply to
Robert Stewart

Perfect. This is the kind of info I need.... THANKS!

SW

Reply to
Spencer