Sherline Mill or the Lathe + Milling attachments ?

For those of you that have experience with them, would you recommend getting the Sherline Mill or the Lathe and add on the Milling attachement ?

I am *mostly* interested in the milling.

Reply to
pogo

What are you wanting to "mill"? Respectfully, Ron Moore

Reply to
Ron Moore

If you are really only interested in milling, then I would get the Sherline Milling Machine. BOTOH, you might find yourself with a need or maybe a curiosity for a lathe, in which case you'd be SOL with only a mill. If there is a chance you would ever want both machines and could only afford one with attachments, you should go for the lathe withmilling attachment.

Now do you want my real opinion? I would hold off until I could afford both a lathe and a mill. It may take a little longer, but then you'd have 2 separate machines; rather than a kluged up lathe con mill from which you'd grow tired of switching back and forth. Have you see

Robert Swinney

I started with the long lathe and the milling column. That gave me the opportunity to learn on both lathe and mill. Granted, the size of the machines limits you to smaller projects, but for me it was a great way to start. I added the mill X -Y base and used the existing column. This increased the project size a bit. For most work, it only takes a few minuets to change to motor from lathe to column. I think the great thing about the Sherline is the wide assortment of attachments / accessories available. Within the size limits of the machines there's a lot of work that can be accomplished.

Browse thru

there's a wealth of information there.

Standard disclaimer here: just a satisfied customer.

Hope this helps.

Bob rgentry_at_oz_dot_net _AT_ = @, _dot_ = . to eMail

Reply to
Bob Gentry

fairly soft aluminum (such as used in 80/20 extrusions) and sometimes plastic. Mostly small parts for my robotics project ( not counting just doing it for the fun of it! )

Thanks !

Reply to
pogo

the Sherline

maybe a

mill. If

only afford

attachment.

which you'd

Yep - I've been to Sherline.com dozens of times, as well as lurking the auction sites.

Thanks for the advice !

Reply to
pogo

size of

Thanks for the input ! JCD

Reply to
pogo

Have you seen the Taig stuff? Cheaper lathe and more robust mill.

Reply to
Ron Thompson

==================== Typically, milling extruded aluminum is like milling bubble gum. If you can, try to get 6061 T6 or similar.

Reply to