Shop Press Hydraulics HELP

I'm definitely buying the press brake unit from Northern, and now I plan to build a decent shop press for it. My current homebuilt press needs improvement in too many ways.

My current speedbump is the hydraulics. A powered setup, up and down, is too expensive right now, i think.

The best shot seems to be a 20 ton air over hydraulic unit like item

270014961414 or 160014259697

that is exactly what i want for the hydraulics but I'm having trouble either finding the whole setup or knowing what parts to buy seperately and from where.

I can build the press, how do I do the rest?

Thanks

- Loren

Reply to
Loren

Take a look at my "poor man's hydraulic press" that uses that 20 air over hydraulic jack.

By the way, that jack is on sale at harbor Freight right now for $69.95. I wish I had an excuse to get another one. I have posted this link before when the issue came up, but I have upgraded the article somewhat if others are interested.

If you buy the press brake, let us know how it works.

Pete Stanaitis

----------------- Loren wrote:

Reply to
spaco

Pete, very nice work. I am highly impressed. I will check with my local HF to see if they have this jack.

Ignoramus23939

Nice, Pete. You're a bit ahead of me. I have a 20-ton shop press, also with that air-over-hydraulic bottle jack from HF (great buy!) and I have mounted my press on wheels which swivel away on hinges to sit solidly on the floor (although in use I don't seem to need that stability on the floor so usually it sits up on the casters) and I have a project on the backburner to adapt a small ratcheting crank winch to be able to raise/lower the table. That one's about 85% done - I was planning to write it up when I finished.

I'm curious about one minor point of your design - how did you fasten the air valve plumbing to the floorboard?

Grant

spaco wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin