Single Phase from 3 Phase

I just picked up a used Tig welder designed to run on 208-230V single phase. The problem is all the outlets in the shop are 3-phase. As I am somewhat electrically challenged, could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks, Lon

Reply to
Lon Jetivati

I am assuming your 3 ph supply is 208. If so, just connect 2 of the three phases to the welder and you are in business, but the caveat is that you must be certain that the input supply does not feed any 110 volt loads. I think you are safe, as the specification is 208 -230 volt. For clarity, you will have either a 4 wire or 5 wire supply. They are phase 1 through 3, a safety earth and a neutral, as the 5th wire. Your welder will have a 3 wire input. You are to use any 2 of the 3 phases and the safety earth. Do not connect the neutral.Simple. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Same if the shop service is 230V delta. Two hots and a ground, welders do not require a neutral. Indeed my Syncrowave 250 TIG welder has 115V utility outlets on it for accessories such as the water cooler, and that

115V is derived from the main transformer, not requiring any neutral connection on the supply to the welder.

Pete C.

Steve Lusardi wrote:

phases to the welder and you are in business, but the

volt loads. I think you are safe, as the

5 wire supply. They are phase 1 through 3, a safety

You are to use any 2 of the 3 phases and the safety

Reply to
Pete C.

Thanks to every one replying. I'd like to make a short adaptor cord to patch between the 3-phase outlet and my 1-phase plug. I found a

50amp 3 conductor female socket in McM-C but its $51, kind of pricy. Where else to look?

Lon

phases to the welder and you are in business, but the

y 110 volt loads. I think you are safe, as the

e or 5 wire supply. They are phase 1 through 3, a safety

t. You are to use any 2 of the 3 phases and the safety

- snipped-for-privacy@p10g2000prm.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Lon Jetivati
50amp 3 conductor female socket in McM-C but its $51, kind of pricy. Where else to look?

Lon

Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

Reply to
Calif Bill

Stove outlet? Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Depot and Lowe's will have 50 Amp 3 conductor plugs and receptacles. They won't likely have any to match your 3 phase receptacle.

Any "real" electrical supply house will have everything you need, just get the NEMA number off your 3 phase receptacle and off the welder plug. The really good stuff like Hubbell will be pricey anywhere, cheaper brands would be P&S, Leviton or similar. Any should work just fine unless it's a high physical abuse environment.

Reply to
Pete C.

ee phases to the welder and you are in business, but the

any 110 volt loads. I think you are safe, as the

ire or 5 wire supply. They are phase 1 through 3, a safety

put. You are to use any 2 of the 3 phases and the safety

snipped-for-privacy@p10g2000prm.googlegroups.com...

Try Ebay and Craigslist. Used industrial stuff does not have a lot or resale value. Companies tend to buy new. And there are not a lot of home shop machinists that need three phase plugs.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

There's a surplus connector place in Ohio; I can not recall the name right now. They sell all kinds of power plugs and sockets... and for a few bucks each.

Reply to
David Lesher

Found it. COI Surplus, but they seem to be a flEaBay only outfit now.

Reply to
David Lesher

Lon Jetivati wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@k13g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

50 amp female cord ends are quite rare - and priced to match. $51 actually isn't bad for any name brand in that type. Try this combo of stuff:
17.60
3.90
2.74
1.15

About half the price but with the possible disadvantage of having a clunky

4" square box instead of a nice neat cord end. Not a big deal when the cord going into it has most likely a 90 degree male end anyway. The box with a 90 degree cord plugged in works quite well for laying flat and not putting strain on the connection if you tug on the cable a little.

The box method is what we usually make up when someone wants an extension or adaptor custom made.

Reply to
Charles U Farley

Argh.... CPI Surplus, Shelby Ohio

Reply to
David Lesher

Have a 3ph plug that fits and a volt meter?

The lug on the plug with a ding is the neutral.

The other 3 similar ones are the power.

Use your meter and measure until you find 2 that have 208-230 on them

Match them up with the wire from your mig cord..connect properly and voila! You are done...oh..thts the black and white or the two wires that are NOT green. Green goes to the lug on the plug with the ding (neutral)

Help?

Gunner

The current Democratic party has lost its ideological basis for existence.

- It is NOT fiscally responsible.

- It is NOT ethically honorable.

- It has started wars based on lies.

- It does not support the well-being of americans - only billionaires.

- It has suppresed constitutional guaranteed liberties.

- It has foisted a liar as president upon America.

- It has violated US national sovereignty in trade treaties.

- It has refused to enforce the national borders.

...It no longer has valid reasons to exist. Lorad474

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Give me the name on your outlet and on the machine plug, along with the amperage rating.

Im literally awash in various male and female plugsets after tearing down that factory A picture would even be better.

Gunner

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@p10g2000prm.googlegroups.com...

The current Democratic party has lost its ideological basis for existence.

- It is NOT fiscally responsible.

- It is NOT ethically honorable.

- It has started wars based on lies.

- It does not support the well-being of americans - only billionaires.

- It has suppresed constitutional guaranteed liberties.

- It has foisted a liar as president upon America.

- It has violated US national sovereignty in trade treaties.

- It has refused to enforce the national borders.

...It no longer has valid reasons to exist. Lorad474

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I noticed some 3phase connectors in my HD last month. I went to an electric supply house and bought over the counter.

It seems like HD is considering a larger customer base now. Always companies - building trades mostly. Now homes are going 3-p for air conditioning stuff.

Mart> Calif Bill wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

The lug on the plug With the ding is the thing You can count on to be the neutral

The others are hot Touch them you will not Or, you will be without a future

Safely you will do work Accidents do not you smirk Correctly wired is useful

Reply to
Stormin Mormon