Six versus 12 point sockets

A comment made in the giant Imperial metric debate about needing 2 sets of every type of tool prompted me to think of something I forgot to ask earlier

What is the purpose of 12 point sockets? 6 points get a better overall grip on the nut and are less likely to wear off the corners than the

12's since the contact area is only only the edges of the fastener and i think only make contact with less than 1/2 of the hex nut. Every reference i'e seen to six point sockets says why they are better than 12's but i've never heard a "counter" advantage of 12 points in sockets.

I know every manufacturer still seems to make 6 and 12 point sockets and they love selling identical pairs in sets except one set is 12 point one is 6 and then metric and imperial

Does anyone know why they are around? is it historical or are there actual advantages to 12 point sockets?

I'm VERY aware of the advantage of 12 points on a box or combination wrench since they allow for the wrench to get into a place with limited clearance better but wrenches in genreal dont have the ratcheting mechanism socket wrenches do (and those that DO have ratcheting in the boxed end of the combination wrench often look like toys

I havent ran into a situation that 12 point sockets would be at an advantage over 6 points

Could someone enlighten me to where the 12 would work better than a 6?

Reply to
Brent

:-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom

I'd be interested in opinions on this myself.... Im sure there is a good reason, but I've owned plenty of socket sets over the years and used plenty more but never found a good reason for the 12's. 12's are great as you mentioned for spanners, but i can see no advantage to having them in a socket, and I'd even go further to say that i would take a mid-level 6 point socket over a top shelf 12 pointer any day of the week... and doubly so if im using a cheater bar on them or the fasteners are old automotive ones!!!

There are those metricnh universal style sockets that are rounded rather than pointed, but i cant say i think too much of them... Ive owned a couple of odd pieces of the sockets and spanners mainly in sizes that are common double standards in aus (12mm 1/2 inch etc) but they dont give that satisfying 'snugged up' feel of the right size.

on an unrelated note; Ivew owned a few different sets of gear wrenches, from the top of the line down to the cheap and nasties, and i've broken most of them by using them with cheater bars. I have one particular wrench in my toolkit though that ive had for 7 or 8 years now and its the best Ive ever had. Its double sided and double ended, giving four sizes; 17mm/14mm on one end, and 13mm/15mm on the other. The brand is 'TOP' which Id never heard of before and never have heard of since. It's marked'made in japan' and i bought it in korea for about $15 when i was in a hardware store chasing up something else. If absolutely yarded on this gear wrench; its been in the dirt, the grease, the muck... Ive put 3 to 4 foot cheater bars in it, then jumped on those cheater bars when it wasnt quite enough. Its never slipped and is still in excellent condition. The gears are exposed, with a wratchet style clicker to reverse direction and they are *chunky* gears... you dont get real fine movement on this one. All the attention Ive given it is a squirt of oil once a year and a degreasing every other year to get out all the muck thats jammed in the gears. It's one of the first things i reach for in my toolkit and is rarely out of my pocket when im spannering. Id gladly pay hundreds for a full set of these if i could find them again! to give this some relevence; they are 12 pointed~

Shaun

Reply to
Shaun Van Poecke

Quality 12 point wrenches have thinner walls than six point- this can be a huge advantage if you have to sneak around a part to get to a fastener or remove a fastener that is in a deep bore.. Auto mechanics (I used to be one) prefer 12 point tools because they take less time to fit onto a fastener- since most mechanics are paid by the job, every second counts.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

Carl Byrns wrote in article ...

That's an overly broad, somewhat inaccurate statement.

I have worked in motorsports, and automotive service and repair for more than 40 years.

The ONLY place I prefer a 12-point socket is on a 12-point fastener.

Other than that, six-point sockets have a much lower tendency to round off stubborn fasteners........

.....and, rounded-off fasteners can easily chew up a LOT of precious time.

Reply to
*

One minor point is that in a pinch some a 12 points of some size will fit a square nut of some size.

12 points may have thinner walls as was mentioned but there is no mechanical-geometrical reason for it. You can start from a 12 points add metal and get a 6 points. MG
Reply to
MG

6 point sockets don't fit on 12 poing bolt heads worth a pinch of....

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Reply to
RoyJ

I've never had issues with the motorsports engines/transmissions using

12 point sockets (steel bolts into aluminum castings). I use 12 point sockets for automotive EXCEPT on rusty parts (exhaust system) or high torque parts (main and rod bearings)

  • wrote:

Reply to
RoyJ

On Sun, 27 May 2007 20:58:51 +1200, with neither quill nor qualm, Tom quickly quoth:

I've bought only 6-pointers since my parents gave me a Crapsman set (with all 12-pointers) back in 1970 and have never seen any use for a

12-pointer at all. Doctors might like them because they strip and let the user's knuckles get busted. Doctors make money on them and are probably their only supporters.

The only place I've ever seen those was holding connecting rod caps in an automotive engine eons ago. I can't recall the make, either.

------------------------------------------- Jack Kevorkian for Congressional physician! ===========================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I haven't heard the term "gear wrench", but it sounds like a ratcheting box wrench, correct?

I'm having a hard time imagining how it could have 2 sizes on each end. How does it do that?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

On Sun, 27 May 2007 14:14:59 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, RoyJ quickly quoth:

Um, if you guys were in _that_ much of a hurry...

LJ--a slower, get-it-right ex-wrench.

Reply to
Larry Jaques
þx?u?[OÜ0?ßó+??ËU,!?? ?(U_*UÞxâ ëx?/òï;6½­V"+?ãïÌW¯?ãå?ò~?{õ?0¼/o?%­´ö¦ï?èµSÝp`dÕè9"?^(??Ã1¬?áìåôXÇóíbq?'ê4´??år?i^?77'ê-?Ôu]]ÑuÑúìàKr38:?G5ÁÑbq???p÷ø
Reply to
azotic

Exactly this is *not* true. They all have only contact at the edge and not at all the surface. Have a closer look at modern nuts and the manufacturers sales-buzzing. The sides of the hex (or 12) aren't straight but curved (they all have different names) just because of the fact of the linear contact.

So get a 12-nut, they slip on faster. They are neither weaker nor stronger.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

A six point socket will grab a rusted or mangled nut a lot better. It will take more torque before it rounds off the corners of the nut.

A twelve point socket has a thinner wall and will get on a recessed nut where a six point will not. A twelve point gives you more angles to pick when using it in tight places. A twelve point will work on a square nut, but again the chance of rounding the corners goes up. An eight point should be used when the nut needs a lot of torque.

John

Reply to
john

Fits everything, easier to get on a nasty painted bolt or nut and if using a breaker bar gives more combinations to get on fastener.

If one took a 6pt and milled away the portion that a 12pt contacts the fastener you would find the remaining amount to have a fairly small ability to transmit torque.

I've never stripped a head in good shape with a 12 point. Wes

Reply to
Wes

They work on square nuts. My Farmall Tractor has them.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

You're definitely mistaken there -- I've done it more times than I care to count, which is why I *never* use 12-pt. sockets for any high-torque applications any more.

Reply to
Doug Miller

You said the magic words a head in good shape... one that never saw an adjustble wrench, pipe wrench, pliers, vice grips or channel locks.

John

Reply to
john

On Sun, 27 May 2007 16:51:59 +0000, with neither quill nor qualm, Christopher Tidy quickly quoth:

As usual, Mr. MULEler is wrong. 12-points ARE weaker.

The problem comes in several forms, first of which is that the 12-pt sockets round off themselves, creating more of a problem. They wear quickly, or at least the Crapsman sockets did.

Their thinner walls also broke more quickly when subjected to higher torques. I absolutely hated them from a daily-use standpoint as a mechanic. Almost everything Snap-On sold at the time were 6 points. That says a lot, doesn't it?

But, I didn't like Snap-ON tools all that well, either. They were pretty and all-- with their bright and shiny chrome--but that made them more slippery. And the good tool steel they used allowed them to be made thinner. On a wrench, that made for an uncomfortably thin edge which cut into your fingers when you cranked something down. I usually opted for the equally good--but not as shiny--MAC, Cornwall, or Matco tools which were also selling for half the price of Snap-On. The thinner-walled sockets were great for those super-tight spaces, so their sockets couldn't be beat. To this day, I've never broken a Snap-On socket.

Reply to
Larry Jaques