snow and metal question

Why does snow stick to metal? Or more specifically, why does it stick to some metals more than others? Is it a question of the size of the grain structure, or something else?

Reply to
Ken Finney

One big factor is likely to be cleanness, specifically absence of greasy organic molecules. Most metals are readily wetted with water provided they are clean (e.g. by abrading under water). In some cases there is going to be a thin layer of oxide present. I think that if you cool a metal which is well wetted below freezing point, the ice which forms is going to adhere reasonably well especially to the oxides on ferrous metals. I'd guess it might not adhere so well to clean pure gold.

Reply to
newshound

Now, where can I get some pure gold sled runners...

;^)

Reply to
Ken Finney

Or a plated snow shovel

Reply to
Stupendous Man

You can WAX the shovel, sled runners, too...

Stan

Reply to
stans4