Source for LCD monitor?

Hey guys I want to toss the old CRT video monitor perched atop my Emco 5 CNC. I want to replace it with a small flat-panel display. So I am looking for a good deal on a surplus or refurb (i.e. cheap) flat panel with RCA video input. Can be monochrome, though I'd prefer color. Can even be a small TV, or a DVD player if it as RCA video input. I've done searches several ways but can't find anything so far.

Can anyone point me to a model, or a site, or maybe you have something suitable to sell?

Post here or email me directly.

thanks Rex

Reply to
RB

I'm not familiar with your machine. Having said that, I had a 5 axis waterjet cell built around an AB8400B control that the terminal's CRT went dead. It had a 50-75 ohm video input. A cheap monitor for a security camera I bought from Sam's club back around 1999 or so got me back up and running.

Just a thought.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Every LCD TV I've seen has RCA input. Why don't you hit Craig's List in your area?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

They often have 19" LCD for about $99.99 and a 15" for $74.99. I have bought lots of stuff from them over the years. Last purchase I bought 2 digital cameras 8MP for under $60. at Christmas time. No problems.

Richard W.

Reply to
Richard W.

Lots of "dual screen" portable DVD players for automotive use. The second screen would do just fine for RCA input, 7 - 10 inch diaganol screen.

Reply to
clare

That sounds about perfect. 10". I did not know if those had RCA inputs or not. I'll take a look.

Reply to
RB

Backup (automobile) camera / display system? in-car video? Portable DVD player? Shop around, prob'ly less than 50 bucks if you don't need large.. /mark

Reply to
Mark F

The small TV/DVD screens of LCD displays are commonly wide screens, so you may lose the height you're accustomed to.

The 4:3 aspect ratio was the (RCA input) TV/VCR, CCTV and video camera/monitor standard for decades, but movies are typically displayed in letterbox or wide formats, so new LCD monitors intended for movie displays have gone to the wide format.

The screen height on widescreen displays is shorter for given size, since they are measured diagonally.

I bought a couple of wide 7" LCDs (for about $70 each) and they fill the width of the screen (slightly stretched width-wise) instead of cropping the sides with black. I think a 5" 4:3 display would look about the same size for a composite video input.

Other wide monitors may display the RCA input 4:3 input differently. If the width is stretched to fill the screen, it may be annoying to look at, particularly for text.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

How large? Take a look at the dual screen DVD players sold for cars.

Reply to
Steve W.

RB wrote in news:gr3dm0$sto$ snipped-for-privacy@nntp.motzarella.org:

Not necessarily as cheap as finding a ready to plug and play surplus consumer electronic display like a car DVD remote screen, but these guys are a source of surplus smaller LCD panel kits.

Make sure to look at "kit" contents to see that the all necessary drive electornics are included and it has a composite input with a suitable aspect ratio.

I've also been looking for a smaller monitor to use as a dual display on my desktop for some software that can take advantage of having a command window separate from the main monitor. I've found an RCA DRC6338 8" portable DVD player at the local Walllyworld. Not many of the dvd players list AV _inputs_ as a capability, this one does and it comes with a 120V wallwart. For just over $100 it's about the same price as an add on remote screen for a car DVD set and comes ready to run on house power, the car stuff would need a 12V adaptor. YMMV

Reply to
Charles U Farley

Good point, had not considered that.

Thanks

Reply to
RB

The 2nd screen of one of those would be just about ideal, but I don't want to buy the whole system. Also I don't know what connectors they use.

Reply to
RB

Charles, would you have a brand and model number for that player?

Reply to
RB

You know, I have an old Toshiba notebook computer that mostly works....

Reply to
RB

I bought a 15" LCD monitor recently for $30 in a second-hand store.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Ouch!!

I get em for Less than $10

Gunner Asch

Tell the OP where.

They put up with me and will test the junk while I wait, so I don't try to bargain them down. They sold me a freshly tested & formatted laptop HDD for $20 after half an hour of digging around for a Seagate (for DiscWizard) and threw in a free dead Compaq Armada E500 battery to play with. It pops open easily and contains standard 18650 Li cells that I have plenty of. I need to do more research on the cell dis and reconnection sequence. Discharging to 0 is OK for NiCads but destroys lithiums.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Yes, please!

Reply to
RB

Any second hand store in California..from Bakersfield all the way down to Diego.

They are getting really cheap

Gunner

Gunner Asch

How much time & money do you want to spend to try to convert NTSC to a proprietary interface? This comes up quite often on the electronics newsgroups.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell