South Bend 10k reverse bracket removal

I'd like to R&R the spindle on my South Bend 10k to inspect the bearings, wicks and oil return holes. Common wisdom suggests using a block of wood and a hammer to drive the spindle out of the bull gear, but I'd much rather use a bolt and collar as a puller.

That means the reverse tumbler needs to come off for clearance during reinstall.

Can anyone tell me how it's done? Nothing comes up on the obvious websites (Yahoo-sbl, Practical Machinist, etc) and the parts diagram gives no clear hint. There is one nut and shaft at the pivot of the reverse bracket, but that's not obviously what's holding the bracket in place. My guess is that there's a fastener or two that I'm not finding.

If anybody's been through this and can offer guidance I'd be grateful.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Reply to
User Bp

On the 10L the retainer is a bar below the pivot.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Turns out on a 10k it's even simpler: Just disengage the selector quadrant and pull the bracket out. The clue was a very clear photograph on eBay of a bracket for sale.

Next puzzle is the felt retainer drillings, just above the oil cups. They don't seem to meet the felt position, but rather aim up, seemingly to hit the bushings at about

8 o'clock facing the chuck.

Was relieved to find the spindle and bearings in rather good shape, especially in light of severe wear on the rest of the lathe. The spindle at least is apt to outlast me 8-)

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Reply to
User Bp