Split phase motor question

Tim said I should post this here also: I have an old split phase induction motor that runs quite well. Especially considering the fact that it is at least 60 years old. But it makes a funny sound when running but the sound disappears immediately whe power is removed. It sounds like something is a little loose. Sorta like if the shaft was oscillating back and forth between the thrust bearings. But it is not that. My son suggested that maybe one of the windings is loose and rattles a little back and forth when the polarity of the AC voltage changes. Anybody got a clue? Thanks, Eric

Reply to
etpm

snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Some laminations are probably loose. They make a buzz at 60Hz, if so.

If it's RPM-related, it actually could be a bearing. Motors do not usually put exactly uniform torque on one end or the other, and can skew the shaft enough to make a bad bearing sing.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Eric - I've a similar sound that started recently - tinny vibration as though the sheet metal in the start switching mechanism is loose? If you find an answer, do post it.

Hul

snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

Reply to
Hul Tytus

I will post any answers I get. Eric

Reply to
etpm

Eric - When reading your message I translated "split phase" to "capacitor start". Some days.

Hul

snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

Reply to
Hul Tytus

On Wednesday, October 8, 2014 5:38:38 PM UTC-4, Hul Tytus wrote: > Eric - When reading your message I translated "split phase" to "capacitor

60 year old motor? Maybe induction-start induction-run.

Reply to
mogulah