Spring source

Hi all -

I needed few extension springs for a prototype project and didn't find anything that would work in my (admittedly limited) spring supply.

Searching the web turned up the Jones Spring company which has a lot of stock springs at reasonable prices and relatively low minimum order ($25) and reasonable shipping charges. I've ordered twice from them and had no problems.

One caveat - the pictures of the springs in the 'detail' page are not necessarily exactly what you get - all the extension springs show the same picture of a closed loop end but the actual spring may have a hook or other end treatment. Pay attention to the description.

I'm not associated with them other than as a satisfied customer.

Carla

Told my boss three companies were after me and he better give me a raise. When he asked which three...I told him the gas, electric & cable.

Reply to
Carla Fong

Springs are frightening.

Reply to
Scratchy

On Thu, 01 Aug 2013 22:56:11 -0700 in rec.crafts.metalworking, Scratchy wrote,

The little ones aren't so bad. I still remember the size of the hole in the wall the broken garage door spring made when I was a kid, though.

Reply to
David Harmon

One reason to like the torsion springs, though I personally retain an antiquated preference for counterweights - still, if a counterweight cable breaks, different bad things happen, but they are still bad. As for extension-type garage door springs, they should all have a cable running thorough them to keep the parts more-or-less contained. Of course, that didn't use to be normal. I've been known to use one along with a comealong to provide a non-personnel-endangering pull on a tree that needs help going the right direction.

The cracked coil spring in my pickup apparently gave my mechanic a bit of a yikes when he was replacing it. Which probably means he was doing it wrong, but...I don't recall - that might have been our first indication that even WAS cracked, while doing something else to the front end. It popped out. I had him replace both, even though the other was "fine."

Reply to
Ecnerwal