Spur gear YouTube

Threaded View

I stumbled across this and found it fascinating because
it provided information that I "didn't know I didn't know":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHTXaU7GZC0

--Winston

--

Congratulations Robert Piccinini and Steven A. Burd, WalMart Publicists of the
Year!

Re: Spur gear YouTube

I watched this a couple years ago.  Been more than once I tried to justify
making a gear
but was always able to find a stock gear I could rework to fix a broken machine.

I'm going to make a couple gears some time real soon just to be able to say I
did it.

Wes
in their eyes."  Dick Anthony Heller

Re: Spur gear YouTube

I want to do that, for the same reason.

Let's see; I could connect my NC rotary table as a fourth axis...
This could be easier than using a dividing head.  :)

--Winston

--

Congratulations Robert Piccinini and Steven A. Burd, WalMart Publicists of the
Year!

Re: Spur gear YouTube

I wouldn't feel any shame doing it that way if I could. :)

Wes

Re: Spur gear YouTube

I haven't made a gear like that in years. The comment about "no
distractions" was right on. The first and second tries at making the
gear wound up in the scrap barrel. 3rd try looked more like a military
aircraft checklist!

Re: Spur gear YouTube

The labor time required - amazing.

Re: Spur gear YouTube

Grainger catalog:

Item # 1L994
Spur Gear, 6 Pitch, Pitch Dia 5.000 In, Face Width 1.500 In,
Number of Teeth 30, Bore Dia 1.125 In, Outside Dia 5.333 In,
Overall Length 2.380 In

One Hundred Thirty $mackers.

--Winston

--

Congratulations Robert Piccinini and Steven A. Burd, WalMart Publicists of the
Year!

Re: Spur gear YouTube

It takes less time than you may think. I timed myself making a 144 tooth
great wheel for a clock once. Fifteen minutes to cut the teeth with a home
made cycloidal cutter. Two hours to cross it out (make spokes), debur and
polish. The dividing head was home made.

Steve R.

Re: Spur gear YouTube

Nothing new there for me, but I used to routinely cut clock wheels, and
pinions.

Steve R.

Re: Spur gear YouTube

On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 16:03:17 -0800, the infamous Winston

So, what tidbit did you learn from that video, Winnie?

Man, who was the _dynamic_ narrator?  <thud>

--
To know what you prefer instead of humbly saying Amen
to what the world tells you you ought to prefer,

Re: Spur gear YouTube

Sector arms.
I'd seen them on dividing heads before but never knew their
purpose. Kewl.

And mostly just seeing the tools assembled and in use to
create the gear.  One picture being worth a thousand words
and all that.  Edifying while entertaining.

Hey I understood everything he said!

I took a computer architecture course at DEC many years ago.
Our instructor had an almost opaque accent and would sneeze
occasionally.  It took me a couple hours to figure out that
he wasn't sneezing, he was attempting to say 'Master Sync,
Slave Sync'!

--Winston

--

Congratulations Robert Piccinini and Steven A. Burd, WalMart Publicists of the
Year!

Re: Spur gear YouTube

I think that it is a beautiful video. I also loved the music. Sounds
lie it is from old silent movies, Would anyone know what is the music.

Re: Spur gear YouTube

I can't name it but it falls into the category of music called
'Honky Tonk' or 'Boogie Woogie'.
Prolly a rag of some sort.

Very nice!

--Winston

--

Congratulations Robert Piccinini and Steven A. Burd, WalMart Publicists of the
Year!

Re: Spur gear YouTube

Bumble bee boogie,

see
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur4q4-qxtOE

technomaNge
--

Re: Spur gear YouTube

YES!  Thanks.   --Winston
--

Congratulations Robert Piccinini and Steven A. Burd, WalMart Publicists of the
Year!

Re: Spur gear YouTube

I think I prefer Winifred Atwell's rendition :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM

Re: Spur gear YouTube

(...)

I couldn't listen to the YouTube version because it was very poorly
recorded.  Atwell appears to be a genius, though.  Made it look trivial.

--Winston

--

Congratulations Robert Piccinini and Steven A. Burd, WalMart Publicists of the
Year!

Re: Spur gear YouTube

For gears and many other interesting ideas, see if you can find the
locations of John Stevenson's shop methods.

A few (or more) years ago, he built a gear cutting machine using
synchronized steppers and a worm gear box instead of a dividing head.

--
WB

Site Timeline