Static Balancing

In the latest issue of HSM, there is a tip from a reader about static balancing, using the arbor-on-rails technique. He uses a lathe bed to get a level foundation, which is a good idea, if your wheel is small enough.

He says to turn the ends of the arbor down to .150 or less, because "The smaller the diameter of the axle bearing surface, the more accurate your balance will be." This sounds exactly backwards to me. It seems to me that smaller diameters have greater resistance to rolling and hence would be less accurate.

Am I missing something?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt