Stevenson tool post in Cast Iron?

I have been thinking about making a Stevenson style tool post for a while now. I was wondering what the collective thought about making the post itself out of cast iron. I could either mill it out of a block of cast iron, or possibly even have it rough cast and then finish the casting. (a co-worker owns a foundry, so getting a small casting done should be trivial).

Thoughts about material choice?

I think I would stick with steel for the toolholders, but if I was getting a pour done anyways, maybe rough cast some toolholder blanks in cast as well.

I would be putting this on a 10EE if that would have any bearing on the decision.

Thanks

JW

Reply to
jw

What's a Stevenson-style toolpost? I'm familiar with Aloris and the old Armstrong/lantern-type holders, never heard of Stevenson.

As far as your material choice, it depends on the cast iron. That can range in strength from cheesy to as strong as some steels, depending on what goes in it. If you can get the thing cast in nodular iron, it'd be good. Or alloyed with nickel.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

The seemingly popular John Stevenson DIY toolpost. There are several references/links to it in the archives. One such example being:

I guess I will have to ask what my options are, but I expect I can get about anything I want. The easiest will be if I can just get some overrun from a planned pour.

JW

Reply to
jw

=========== Take a look at

Blocks can be made on a lathe with milling attachment and faceplate.

Only part that a hobby machinist might have trouble with, more due to the tools required than skill, is the toothed washer [index base] that indexes the holders.

click on

to download their catalog [quick even at 28k baud]

They also sell complete plans for 22$ which are well wothwhile.

For some we made in class see

Unka' George [George McDuffee] ============ Merchants have no country. The mere spot they stand on does not constitute so strong an attachment as that from which they draw their gains.

F. George McDuffee

Be aware that the modulus of elasticity (stiffness) of cast irons also varies widely, from about 1/3 that of steel (comparable to aluminum), to over 80% of steel's.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
news

I did make a Stevenson toolpost from cast iron. Works ok for me. The current batch of tool holders were knocked up from free cutting mild steel and the wedge bolts were medium carbon steel. My choice of materials was mostly controlled by what I had.

When I eventually get around to making another one, the toolholders themselves would be made from medium carbon steel, hardened and ground to lessen the risk of the threads getting stripped and the toolholding slots being marked by chips. The block would still be cast iron for its damping qualities. The cast iron I used was square, continuously cast bar.

John really ought to get royalties for his toolpost design, it's one of the classics :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand