Strange thread

In the replacement steering knuckle for an IHC 453 there are two threaded holes whose thread I can't make out: inner diameter about

10.25 mm and a pitch of 13 TPI [1].

WTF is this? It's obviously neither M12(x1,75) nor UNC1/2x13... Is there an UNC15/32x13? Or even a cross-over 12mmx13TPI?

Any hints appreciated [2].

Volker

[1] I screwed in a 11mm square wood rod to get that accurately. [2] Yes, I'll contact the vendor. But, I prefer not to appear totally ignorant on the phone ;-)
Reply to
Volker Borchert

13 TPI is more like a 2mm thread, if you're not sure of what dominion it belongs to -- are you sure it isn't M12x2?
Reply to
Tim Wescott

v snipped-for-privacy@despammed.com (Volker Borchert) fired this volley in news:mo6j31 $266$ snipped-for-privacy@Gaia.teknon.de:

How did you determine the threads per inch?

14mm x 2mm pitch is very close to 13tpi, and the tap drill size of 15/32 works well.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" fired this volley in news:XnsA4D8C3BFFB2A9lloydspmindspringcom@216.168.4.170:

Sorry... your 'footnotes' didn't appear on my screen until after I'd posted and scrolled down further... duh!

I dunno!

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

It's a metric thread. That tractor came out of the Neuss factory in Germany.

I think it's M12X2

Reply to
Steve W.

Proprietary thread size?

Reply to
Ken Olson

Ken Olson fired this volley in news:mo745i$5t3$1 @dont-email.me:

nah... just a less-common size. I found it, when I actually looked:

85428.cfm
Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

That didn't keep them from using UNC. E.g. the bolt that clamps the steering lever onto the steering knuckle is definitely UNC

1/2" x 13. (Whereas the steering link clamp bolts are M8x1 and the steering knuckle top is M27x1.5.)

My wooden rod and thread gauge think it isn't. At least not "x2". It's definitely 13 TPI.

Reply to
Volker Borchert

Good link, thank you - but wrong size - my wooden rod and thread gauge say definitely that it is not "x2" but 13 TPI.

Reply to
Volker Borchert

2mm and 13TPI is only 2.4% different. What sort of wood are you using that's got the right properties to register threads to that accuracy?

Why don't you just call the parts house, tell them the hole you need to fill, and ask for the correct fastener?

Reply to
Tim Wescott

v snipped-for-privacy@despammed.com (Volker Borchert) fired this volley in news:mo7dr5$8r4$ snipped-for-privacy@Gaia.teknon.de:

How LONG is this wooden 'master' (and your thread gauge) that you can measure 2-or-so% diff in a piece of indented wood?

I'll bet it's 2mm pitch, given it's the right i.d. for a 12mm screw.

I've seen some oddballs here and there... when in doubt, make it on the lathe, and have it heat-treated. Or, as was suggested, order one from a vendor specializing in that machine. Thankfully, the steering wheel on my Deutz is frozen on forever. If it ever needs replacement, I'll have to WELD another on!

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I take impressions of recesses by jamming them full of Fimo clay and heating them to harden it.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Go to a good hardware and buy every size bolt that even remotely looks like it will fit. Carefully try each one. Check other bolts on the machine. It is very likely that another bolt on the machine is the same size. Find another bolt from the machine that will fit, take it to a good hardware supply or an IH dealer, and have them match it up.

If the rest of the machine is metric, it's not likely that this hole is SAE, and vice versa.

Reply to
Futility Man

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

With a propane torch, until the exposed surface is too firm to stick a wire into.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Don't have it at hand, but about nine turns. 13tpi is 1.954mm;

8 x 0,046mm is 0,37mm, a difference big enough to see.

That's Plan B. Except that I'll have to have it made, I don't have access to a lathe, and if I had, I couldn't use it properly.

When talking to the vendor, I want to know what I'm talking about.

V.B.

Reply to
Volker Borchert

Desperate situations demand desperate measures. Might be worth trying, thank you for the ideas.

  1. The rest of the machine is mixed... I have encountered 1/2"x13 UNC, M8x1.0, M27x1.5
  2. That knuckle is second source.

  1. The bolts from the worn out knuckle have 13tpi, about 11.7mm outer diameter. But their threads don't look so good. I think I'd have used them had they fitted properly, but I'll try them again. Easy. REAL easy. And I'll take them to the dealer.

Reply to
Volker Borchert

Yeah, shotgun it. What a simply Perfect idea!

My friend's daughter's Chevy V-8 intake manifold was a 2-piece deal, plastic (FRP) and aluminum. One piece was SAE, the other all metric. I think it was a 2008 model Tahoe. Unlikely lives at GM.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

And, of course, try the bolts from the left hand knuckle ;-)

Reply to
Volker Borchert

I thought that little difference would be difficult to discern but I've just been measuring the nose thread on a hydraulic ram with thread gauges and it is 2mm, 13TPI was the closest inch pitch but the difference in fit was easy to discern. The 2mm pitch gauge was spot on and the 13TPI didn't quite fit right, whether the wood plug approach would give the same sort of result in clearly differentiating between the 2 I don't know.

Reply to
David Billington