Taking apart a Dewalt cordless drill

Hi all

Need some demolition advice. Neighbor burned out his Dewalt cordless (don't know how, but it's toast) so I thought I'd salvage the finger chuck. It's all held together with Torx screws, but I've got the right bits. The problem is once you get the case off, the drill was clearly built from back to front. So how is the chuck held on? I can see a hex shaped socket in the base of the chuck, but I totally wasted an Allen key trying to undo it. Did they swage it in after tightening? Whatever, how should I separate the chuck from the dead gearbox and motor?

Jim

Jim McGill wrote:

Screws at the base of cordless drill chucks are normally left hand threads!

GWE

On the day of Wed, 15 Mar 2006 08:41:48 -0800...

typed these letters:

Yep... That 's whats holds it on... If the socket head screw is goofed up you probably can open up the chuck and use another drill to drill the head off of the socket head screw. You may want to lock the chuck in a vice for this purpose.

Devonshire

On the day of Wed, 15 Mar 2006 17:16:30 GMT... snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Devonshire) typed these letters:

I forgot... And the chuck itself is probably threaded and screwed onto the shaft as well as having the socked head screw holding in in place.

Devonshire

Jim McGill wrote:

You do know it's a LEFT hand thread don't you?? ...lew...

The manual describes how to remove the chuck. You can download it off Dewalt's web page. If I remember correctly, it says to insert the allen key so that it is seated in the socket, tighten the chuck, then hit it with a hammer (ie. hit the exposed part of the allen key that is perpendicular to the shaft as if to make it spin).

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 08:41:48 -0800, Jim McGill

Aside from the Left-Hand Thread chuck lock screw issue that's already been trampled to death, you can get all the internal parts to repair the drill at a reasonable price from DeWalt - it's the repair labor that kills if you have them repair it. They are well designed so you can fix them yourself with minimum fuss.

I've beaten the hell out of an 18-Volt 4-Pack system for about 15 years, and the only expenses have been batteries, rubber feet for the DW-911 radio, a motor for the drill (melted the brush-holders) and one trigger for the drill.

When you consider that I'm swinging 1" and 1-1/4" Selfeed and Auger bits and 5/8" x 72" bell-hanger bits with a cordless drill, that ain't too bad...

--<< Bruce >>--

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700