Taking apart a Dewalt cordless drill

Threaded View
Hi all

Need some demolition advice. Neighbor burned out his Dewalt cordless
(don't know how, but it's toast) so I thought I'd salvage the finger
chuck. It's all held together with Torx screws, but I've got the right
bits. The problem is once you get the case off, the drill was clearly
built from back to front. So how is the chuck held on? I can see a hex
shaped socket in the base of the chuck, but I totally wasted an Allen
key trying to undo it. Did they swage it in after tightening? Whatever,
how should I separate the chuck from the dead gearbox and motor?

Jim

Re: Taking apart a Dewalt cordless drill

Screws at the base of cordless drill chucks are normally left hand threads!

GWE

Re: Taking apart a Dewalt cordless drill
On the day of  Wed, 15 Mar 2006 08:41:48 -0800...
 typed these  letters:

Yep... That 's whats holds it on...
If the socket head screw is goofed up you probably can open up the
chuck and use another drill to drill the head off of the socket head
screw.   You may want to lock the chuck in a vice for this purpose.

Devonshire

Re: Taking apart a Dewalt cordless drill
On the day of  Wed, 15 Mar 2006 17:16:30 GMT...
  snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Devonshire)
 typed these  letters:

I forgot...  And the chuck itself is probably threaded and screwed
onto the shaft as well as having the socked head screw holding in in
place.

Devonshire

Re: Taking apart a Dewalt cordless drill
You do know it's a LEFT hand thread don't you??
    ...lew...

Re: Taking apart a Dewalt cordless drill
The manual describes how to remove the chuck.  You can download it off
Dewalt's web page.  If I remember correctly, it says to insert the allen key
so that it is seated in the socket, tighten the chuck, then hit it with a
hammer (ie. hit the exposed part of the allen key that is perpendicular to
the shaft as if to make it spin).

Re: Taking apart a Dewalt cordless drill
On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 08:41:48 -0800, Jim McGill

  Aside from the Left-Hand Thread chuck lock screw issue that's
already been trampled to death, you can get all the internal parts to
repair the drill at a reasonable price from DeWalt - it's the repair
labor that kills if you have them repair it.  They are well designed
so you can fix them yourself with minimum fuss.

  I've beaten the hell out of an 18-Volt 4-Pack system for about 15
years, and the only expenses have been batteries, rubber feet for the
DW-911 radio, a motor for the drill (melted the brush-holders) and one
trigger for the drill.

  When you consider that I'm swinging 1" and 1-1/4" Selfeed and Auger
bits and 5/8" x 72" bell-hanger bits with a cordless drill, that ain't
too bad...

  --<< Bruce >>--

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700

Site Timeline