Temperature controller for DIY heat treat oven

Threaded View
I am getting ready to build Heat treating oven for my O-1 and 440C
knife blades.
I found a good digital temperature controller on eBay.
But it has RTD input - not thermocouple input. Can anybody explain me
the difference?

BTW Temp in my oven will go up to 2200F

Thanks,
Alex

Re: Temperature controller for DIY heat treat oven
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

Check: http://www.omega.com/techref /
Tons of good information on both.

RTD's have too low a temp range for your oven. Your probably going to need
to get a controller that uses a "K" type thermocouple. There are other
thermocouple types that cover your temp range, but the "K" is the
cheapest...to my knowledge.

Re: Temperature controller for DIY heat treat oven
On 11 Nov 2005 14:38:46 -0800, the renowned "Alex"

That's really high for an RTD. I don't like using them much above
400C.

An RTD is a coil or a thin film of a metal or alloy (often platinum)
that changes resistance with temperature. They tend to be much more
stable at relatively low temperatures than thermcouples and they
require no cold-junction compensation (which tends to further improve
accuracy at temperatures near room temperature).

If you're in the States or Canada, hold out for a type K
thermocouple-input controller, if in Europe consider type N.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
speff@interlog.com             Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com
Re: Temperature controller for DIY heat treat oven
The other guys explained the differences but double check the controller
specs. Most of the brands I've used can be configured for just about any
input type with the internal jumpers.

Re: Temperature controller for DIY heat treat oven
RDT's are usually used for process control in the
temperature range -20 to 100 Deg C . They are used
in the food and process industries because of
their reliability and accuracy at these
temperatures. It is unsuitable for the much higher
temp of your oven. Many of them can either be
re-configured for thermocouple use or have a
thermocouple module installed. call the
manufacturer for more details.

Tom

Site Timeline