the mess of machining cast iron

I found some type of cast iron caster just under 3" in diameter on the street so I tossed it into the Sherline lathe to true it up for practice.

The stuff machines great with carbide, but the mess it makes is incredible. I covered what I could with newspaper, but the dust goes everywhere. I tried to hold a magnet by the cutter to catch some of the dust before it went everywhere, which helped a bit, but there was still a layer of dust everywhere. I'm still in the process of cleaning up with oily rags.

Any special methods people here use to prevent and then clean up cast iron messes?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Ignoramus5207

should try this. once the dust hits steel, it seems sort of magnet and tends to just cling there. Horrible stuff.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

A vacuum nozzle by the cut while cutting may help.

I've been dealing with the fun of "stainless swarf of doom" the past few days. 304SS seems to machine ok on my lathe, but it does indeed tend to produce endless swarf that tries to tangle up everywhere.

Reply to
Pete C.

And even a "chip breaker" grind on the tool doesn't do the job!!!

Reply to
clare

On Monday, June 9, 2014 12:57:31 PM UTC-4, Cydrome Leader wrote: I tried to hold a magnet by the cutter to catch some of the

A good idea that I read here is to turn a zip lock bag inside out and put a magnet in it. Pick up the magnetic smarf and then turn the bag right side out so the smarf in inside the bag and the magnet is on the outside.

Sorry , but I do not remember the original poster.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

One of the old books Lindsay sold described the Cincinnati Milling Machine Company's experiments with feeds and speeds back around WW1, before carbide and flood coolant(?). They said that cast iron machined about the same with or without cutting oil and suggested milling it dry only to minimize the oily mess.

Some of that dust is graphite and not magnetic.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

the home machine type forums go back and forth on this. "Machine cast iron dry" seems to be the mantra, but people with huge machines in large shops do appear to use flood coolant, which isn't going to be happening with any of the tabletop stuff I use.

I can't wait to see what sort of mess flycutting the stuff makes.

Any favorite durabar or equivalent cast iron barstock internet suppliers people suggest? onlinemetals.com doesn't seem to carry the stuff for some reason.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Cydrome Leader fired this volley in news:ln5f5v $s26$ snipped-for-privacy@reader1.panix.com:

Hasn't anyone here ever heard of a vacuum cleaner?

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

When I made some parts from gym weights I just ran the lathe slowly enough that the chips didn't go far.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

A "chip breaker" is needed if you machine much stainless. :-)

Reply to
John B.

Not in my experience

Reply to
clare

Nor mine. I've been using good carbide insert tooling (Kennemetal stuff I got years back and had to mill down to fit my smaller lathe) as well as cheap Chinese insert tooling. All of the inserts have chip breaker profiles, and neither the high end nor the Chinese break the 304 chips with any consistency. Occasionally a pass will be just right and the chips break, but most of the time I get long swarf-o-doom.

Reply to
Pete C.

The breaker just makes the swarf a tighter curl.

Reply to
clare

Pete, did you consider interrupting your cutting every few revolutions or so, just stopping the cutter momentarily while the part still spins?

Ignoramus32376

Ignoramus32376 fired this volley in news:b9qdnQU5TfbPzArOnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Well, THAT would be great for surface finish!

Of course, he could do that while roughing, and still put up with the 'stringies' on the finishing passes.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Exactly, every stop is like doing a "spring" pass and the second rev it cuts deeper, even with a pretty rigid setup. Mostly I just put on a heavy glove and clear out the swarf-o-doom every couple passes lest the active swarf pull in the residual swarf and make a rats nest surrounding the part.

Reply to
Pete C.

I've resorted to that on occaision. The final cut then makes stainless steel wool if the cutter is good and sharp - and that crap winds around everything and flies off in lumps in all directions.

Reply to
clare

I caught my foot on a long SS chip that was on the floor. It was there because I was making long stringy chips so fast the chip pan couldn't handle them. The chip cut right through the top of my new right boot. I hate 304 chips. Eric

Reply to
etpm

I guess I've been lucky then, just a couple nicks on my finger. I still have more 304 parts to make though...

Reply to
Pete C.