Thermal conductivity and frozen pork

I bought a 12" x 6" x .5" piece of aluminum from mcmasters since aluminum is cheaper than steel in that size from them. Anyway, it shows up today and I have it sitting on the kitchen counter where I opened the shipping box.

A bit later I reach into the fridge to get the pork loin I pulled from the freezer earlier. It was a bit late in the day so it was still frozen.

Thinking about how good a thermal conductor aluminum is, I laid the loin on the chunk of aluminum. Darn, that works pretty good. For a second check, I got a fully frozen loin and put it on the plate. Thawed about 1/4" in less than a hour.

The aluminum will not be staying in the kitchen since it is destined to be a mounting plate for my Lee Loadmaster so I can mount it to my Bridgeport table and use that for a bench. The machine room is the only part of my garage that is heated. I'll also drill and tap bolt patterns for my Lyman Turret and Lyman LubeSizer.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

As I sort-of recall, it's been made into a product:

Chances are they didn't use anything nearly as substantial as your manly 36 cubic inches of aluminum. A decently thick non-stick aluminum frying pan is probably better than the mail-order gadgets were.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

To achieve full RCM status, you must use a 0.25" thick sheet of tinned copper.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

SNIP

Actually, .25" thick pure silver - much better conductor than copper

Reply to
Bill Noble

Let's not go overboard here. How about silver-plated copper? Silver is used in place of tin in very high end copper pots and pans.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

How long have you been using the LM? Any issues?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Silver plated diamond? (silver just to have some metal content).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Sure! just pop down to the friendly local neighborhood diamond store, and pick up a 12" x 6" x 1/2" slab of diamond! ;-D

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Actually, sheets of polycrystalline diamond can be deposited in bulk from a RF plasma. But it still ain't cheap. Or that thick.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Maybe in our lifetime, or that of our kids, by CVD or some other process.

Who would have thought 100 years ago that we'd have cheap tools made with something as hard as tungsten carbide, or that slices of _sapphire_ measuring inches in diameter would be affordable?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Gold. No sense cheaping out. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

The thermal conductivity of gold exceeds that of aluminum, but is less than that of copper, silver, diamond, or graphene. See either of

Anyway, for the original purpose of rapidly defrosting a frozen pork chop, exposing it on all sides to warm turbulent air would work faster than laying the chop on a piece of metal.

Reply to
James Waldby

I don't know about him but I used one for a bunch of years back in the 60s for Win 270, 30-06, and a LOT of 38 Spl + a small bit of other stuff. Quit reloading when I hung up the target shooting and hunting. ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

Anything that you might like to sell? I didn't think Lee was making the Loadmaster back then.

Reply to
LibtardStupid

I used it for a couple years and then took a time out. I never got it to work with all the bells and whistles for long.

Right now I tend to use it to deprime followed by inside neck expand.

Prime off line with a autoprime. Btw, the lastest one with the square pan sucks. The earlier round one is far more ergonomic.

Set up 50 cases in a loading block and fly over them with a lyman 55 powder throw.

Verify powder levels with strong light and measure contents of last case charged to check charge weight.

Then I feed the cases back in, with a bullet on top of them, run though seating die and taper crimp die.

Not blazing fast but it is safe.

I've had problems with primers from deprime station hanging up in shell plate, miss feeds from press mounted accuprime system damaging the little plastic bit that slides the primer and I'm not that thrilled with their powder throw.

That is why I use my modified method. It is still faster than a single station press and is a lot more forgiving. I may try getting the case feeder working sometime in the future.

Someday I'm buying a Dillon.

Wes

Wes

Here is a review I saw recently. This guy has a Lee, Hornady, and a Dillon. It is worth a read.

Wes

Reply to
Wes