Tomato growers

Try wiki "grow light".

Icky color.

Yeah, that crap keels over in a drizzle and/or breeze.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I tried all that claim to be resistant without much success. It strikes just as the first fruit is about to ripen. I will look for Amarillo.

Reply to
Boris Mohar

I'm afraid that my naming error has complicated things. Amelia is the one that is claimed to be very disease-resistant. Amarillo is the one that won a local taste test. It's a largish cherry tomato. I don't know how disease-resistant it is.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Well, it depends on the pressure. Low-pressure Sodium lamps are yellow, not orange. One sees these lights a lot.

I also recall people using sodium-calcium many decades back - these had an orangish color. This may have been the original Lucalox design.

For the intensity level you are looking for, and efficiency, it would be hard to beat high pressure sodium. LEDs just aren't there yet.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

I just spend the day yesterday doubling up. We built a real nice grow area over the water pressure tanks in the corner of the basement. Now have two high pressure sodium lights for a 6' x 4' grow area. I'd guess double the light intesity of mid day summer sun.

Got Milday a water wand and I'm going to set up a sump pump to pump water through a hose for watering. hard for her to reach all the way to water the plants in back.

Note: we don't use well water for the plants. They know its not as good as snow melt or fresh rain water caught in the downspout.

We been at this grow your own plants 30 years now, still finding ways to do it just a bit better.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Yeah, you wanted a gazillion lumens per micrometer, alright. Whatever you do, DON'T tell the insurance guy. And give those poor sprouts some SPF 75, will ya?

What? You don't have a recirculating drip system installed yet?

Either/or for me. Good water is good water.

That's always a great idea. Carry on!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Now the electric company will turn you in for growing POT!

They got after me after I brought home Dad's metal lathe and I got a mill. The electric bill shot up and the power company called if they could come to test our meter... Ha!

That was in Kalifornia if you know what I mean...

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Drought in 1990...

I installed a large well and 15Hp irrigation pump.

REA called and asked to come check things out because there was no way the meter was working right.

BTW, the best info on indoor growing comes from pot growers. They are very serious about perfecting growing conditions.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend