Torches can flame without propane tank connected!

This is good stuff for anybody concerned about safety...

John Doe

Never seen one burn that long before with the tank removed.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

And what is the difference in the tanks ?

Is the alt models higher pressure ? Charge the internal (handle) tank full ?

Mart> John Doe wrote:

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Martin Eastburn fired this volley in news:xweWx.99268$ snipped-for-privacy@fx27.iad:

It's a bunch of pure bullshit. There is NOTHING in that handle that can store that amount of gas! There's only a tiny tube about 1/8" i.d. from the canister needle to the valve.

Someone has created that vid through editing.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Yeah, has to be hacked. No torch head can store 15 seconds of gas like that. I believe the burp, but not the long burn. Not at all.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yeah, has to be hacked. No torch head can store 15 seconds of gas like that. I believe the burp, but not the long burn. Not at all.

Reply to
Carl Ijames

That would help explain it, but I sincerely doubt it would run for more than a full second, even on a liquid fill. There's just no storage in those heads.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

John Doe fired this volley in news:n0cb7j $fto$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I do it ALL the time; in fact, I ONLY do that. I never transport a torch on the can -- too likely to be broken. A friend actually had one fall in his vehicle and light... The damage was fairly minor, but it scared the crap out of him.

And yes, I've done it in all positions of the can relative to the torch.

The thing about "other brands" of propane is pure crap, too. Propane liquifies/boils at a certain well-defined pressure/temperature curve. "Brands" don't matter.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I wonder. Firstly, propane gas is heavier than air and secondly propane boils at minus 44 degrees (F) at sea level. So how much will be left inside a torch body after more than a second?

Yes, I saw the guy do it but I would guess that had he waited one more second his "trick" wouldn't have worked.

Reply to
John B.

Other faking it, yours is the only other explantion I could think of ; but there would need to have a check valve that would prevent gas venting out the "bottom" of the torch, forcing gas to exit thru the tiny gas orifice in the nozzle to sustain the burn time.

Reply to
Bill

Bill fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

There is. There's a tiny ball-check at the tip of the canister needle.

Without that, there wouldn't be _any_ "burp" after the torch was unscrewed from the gas bottle.

That still won't account for an amount of gas in the short riser tube necessary to make it burn that long -- even if it were all liquid.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I tend to agree with you.

Reply to
Bill

Bill fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

There is. There's a tiny ball-check at the tip of the canister needle.

Without that, there wouldn't be _any_ "burp" after the torch was unscrewed from the gas bottle.

That still won't account for an amount of gas in the short riser tube necessary to make it burn that long -- even if it were all liquid.

Lloyd =================================================================

I didn't know for sure that there was a check valve, but I thought there was a good chance there was one. Lloyd, you posted that you tried this, and you probably did what I'm about to suggest :-). If liquid is the key the best way I can think to do it would be to light the torch and hold the tank with the valve straight down to maximize the flow of liquid, then let the torch burn for a few minutes to make sure the torch tubing is flooded with liquid. Keep the tank upside down, turn off the torch, and unscrew the torch from the tank as quickly as you can to minimize venting as the check ball seats, then point the torch up to minimize the flow of liquid into the flame, and pull the trigger. Also, all tanks should give the same results, but maybe the differences were in how he had the tank oriented, how long he kept the torch lit, and how fast the he unscrewed the torch? If that doesn't work, then I can't see how he did it without cheating.

----- Regards, Carl Ijames

Reply to
Carl Ijames

"Carl Ijames" fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@news6.newsguy.com:

I did _exactly_ that, allowing the torch to run long enough to ensure there was liquid in the riser tube. 0.7 second 'puff'. It _was_ the longest one, most being under 1/3 second.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Carl Ijames" fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@news6.newsguy.com:

I did _exactly_ that, allowing the torch to run long enough to ensure there was liquid in the riser tube. 0.7 second 'puff'. It _was_ the longest one, most being under 1/3 second.

Lloyd =========================================================

Thanks, Lloyd, I knew you would be thorough. I completely agree with you, there has to be a gimmick of some kind, like Photoshop or a little tank in the handle or a clear plastic supply tube :-).

----- Regards, Carl Ijames

Reply to
Carl Ijames

What for? Gas is in and out of those torch heads in a split second.

The probable problem with that is that the ball would be creating a bit of a venturi effect, vaporizing the liquid before it could get through. My best SWAG.

I haven't ever demoed a propane cylinder. Do they have liquid tubes in them, or are they straight openings from outside in?

- To change one's self is sufficient. It's the idiots who want to change the world who are causing all the trouble. --Anonymous

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Larry, you're correct, but we still had to "challenge" the concept.

It's the case that the common propane cylinders do NOT have a 'dip tube', just a top-valve/oriface. In fact, it _appears_ that the ball-check produces less of a pressure drop than does the 'micron filter' just preceding the outlet, so there is a remote possibility that the tube between valve and tank _might_ fill with liquid. I think it may have - at least some - since the 'burp' I got when running it inverted was a bit longer (by a fraction of a second) than the burp gotten when I burnt it upright.

The whole thing is a scam, to confuse people.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

It only confuses Lilliputians. As we all know, Gullible Travels.

- To change one's self is sufficient. It's the idiots who want to change the world who are causing all the trouble. --Anonymous

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I have had that style of torch for more than 30 years and have never had it more than "poof" when triggered off the "tank".

I just did the following: let it burn upside down for a minute, then let it sit upside down for 20 minutes. I took it off the tank and triggered it - it only poofed.

The guy is not a troll - he has hundreds of videos on YouTube. Mostly about artificial reefs and his farm. BTW - he is not a farmer - he is a vet with an 80 acre hobby farm. Very sincere.

I don't think that his video is faked. The only explanation I can advance is that his torch is defective. I had another brand of all-position torch once that was not working right & I tried to fix. In taking it apart, I found that it had a separate chamber that I assumed was for vaporizing liquid propane that was delivered in the upside down condition. Perhaps his torch is defective in letting liquid into this chamber (which, IIRC, could hold 5-10cc). Wait ... I just re-watched and he said that he had it happen on "several" different torches. So, I dunno.

However, it's not the brand of propane. He says that some brands let propane "leak into the torch" when they're off. That is just plain ignorant! Anytime a torch is attached to any tank, the tank's integral valve is opened and gas enters the torch.

Another thought: he is in winter clothes in the video & maybe the (Minnesota) winter temperature has something to do with it. Let's see: if you put the torch on a _warm_ tank and let it sit in the cold, the gas in the tank would have a higher vapor pressure than gas in the torch chamber and you would get transfer. Vaporization in the tank and condensation in the torch. It's possible.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

On 10/23/2015 11:41 PM, Bob Engelhardt wrote: ...

"...when they're off...": turned off, not off the tank.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt