Torsion Bar Design

In the wheel suspension of a car, the spring motion is provided by a torsio n bar fastened to the arm on which the wheel is mounted. The torque in the torsion bar is created by the 2500 N force acting on the wheel from the gro und through a 300 mm long lever arm. Because of space limitations, the bear ing holding the torsion bar is situated 100 mm from the wheel shaft.

How can I find The diameter of the torsion bar and how to find the stresses in the torsion bar at the bearing by using the DET theory? also the materi al to be used to manufacture the bar.

figure

Haneen Al Nahwi

I can't tell you how to figure it out or what material to use, but I CAN tell you it is a poor design.. It will be very hard to design a torsion bar that will give the correct torsional stiffness without failing from the bending moment produced by the overhang from the bearing. If you can extend the bar past the suspension arm to another bearing the engineering gets a LOT easier.

Reply to
clare

Worked for Chrysler for years. I have a digging bar made from an old torsion bar. It's one of few that I've seen over the years which actually broke near one hex end.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

So now it's an ex-torsion bar? ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Right you are, Mikey. I wonder how the moving van laborer is using it these days.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

To extort money, of course. ;-)

Reply to