Tough machine paint

In restoring an older lathe, what paints can be used that would withstand the harsh environment a lathe or other machine tool for that matter operates in. It resists grease, oil, chemicals, chips, swarf, the occassional ding, and so on. For information purposes, what did original manufactures use such as on a Hardinge lathe for example? On some forum I can't quite recall now, it was discussed that some of these paints were highly toxic to work with until they are "cured" but tough as hell when dry. What are some currently available paints that can also be used for this purpose? Where would you buy them?

Reply to
trg-s338

Pretty much any good alkyd enamel kicked with an cyanate hardener will give you the desired finish. You can get both at most any automotive paints shop.

The 'toxic' quality comes from the use of the hardener. "Breathe deep the gathering gloom." Or... use a full-up organic fumes repirator. That's probably the better course.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

================ see

This material is *HIGHLY* toxic and several people have died after spraying in a semi-enclosed area using a regular respirator. Tough as hell though. Widely used on aircraft.

What is the size of the part you want to coat? If these are the standard "home shop" lathe you might check with your local powder coater. He will wnat the parts completely degreased [may be a problem with cast iron] You will need to carefully mask. Also many of the older castings have considerable amounts of "filler" in non-structural voids, gaps, etc. You may want to consider glass beading rather than chemical stripping, taking care to avoid the ways, etc.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Another Moody Blues fan?

Randy REplogle

Reply to
Randy Replogle

"....watch lights fade from every room."

Reply to
knowone

After doing a lot of research on this subject prior to painting my Hardinge lathe, I chose Sherwin-Williams Tile Clad, a water based two part epoxy with no isocyanates.

Tile Clad is often used as a garage floor coating. According to their literature, it's a "VOC compliant, two-package, epoxy-polyamide coating for use in industrial maintenance environments and high performance architectural applications. Chemical resistant - Dry film resists bacterial attack - Abrasion resistant - Low VOC. "

They can tint the color and you can roll it on with a 3" roller. Use a respirator - see their Application and Safety data sheets on the website.

Ed

Reply to
cascadiadesign

"Bedsitter people look back in lament ..."

Reply to
Snag

I used Endura (a 2 part epoxy primer and 2 part urethane topcoat similar to Imron) on my mill, I'm very happy with the results. Be sure to treat the bare parts (if you strip the old paint) with a metal conditioner to deep clean it or the new coating might not adhere properly.

Terry Keeley

NAPA sells a regular spray paint in "machinery gray" that holds up very well. We use it in the shop on equipment and it holds up quite well. Maybe not the best but it does work good and cheap..

Reply to
Mike