TSP - How much to use for Laundry....

Threaded View
Hi Y'all.

Just came back from a ATC trip to the Yuma Sand Dunes
and I have tons of ground up sand on various white
items. I saw mentioned before that someone used TSP
(the real stuff) to clean whites really white.

Question is how much and what safety precautions. I used
this stuff to clean a oily garage floor before I painted it
and it worked great. (NO PEELING PAINT! and its been 8 years!)

Thanks again.

--
Bart D. Hull
snipped-for-privacy@inficad.com

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames   snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net

Re: TSP - How much to use for Laundry....
It says on my box of TSP to add half a cup to a full load of laundry if
you have stubborn dirt.

It may or may not work on your whites - they may need bleach to get them
really white again. And don't mix bleach and TSP.

Grant

Re: TSP - How much to use for Laundry....
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 16:21:02 -0800, Grant Erwin

No problem mixing chlorine bleach and TSP, as TSP is NOT an acid.
Bleach and Phosphate detergents were used together all the time.
I use TSP and bleach with a bit of washing soda to clean my aluminum
siding (white) when it gets grey mildew and crap on it.

Re: TSP - How much to use for Laundry....

You won't believe this, but I swear it's true: that's exactly what I used to
wash my underwear tonight.

I find that it doesn't take as much TSP as some are saying, at least for our
family's clothes. My mix for greasy clothes or my son's sweaty sports
uniforms can go up to a quarter-cup of TSP and a half-cup of washing soda,
along with a capful of ordinary liquid detergent. But, otherwise, it's about
1/8 cup of TSP and a quarter-cup of washing soda added to liquid detergent.
That's what I used on the whites tonight, along with a half-cup of liquid
chlorine bleach.

Ed Huntress

Re: TSP - How much to use for Laundry....
Ed Huntress wrote:
<snip>

   Geez, Ed, I don't know - I was taught that if it isn't documented,
it didn't happen. Got any supporting documentation that you did your
own laundry? Witnesses? I didn't think so. <g>

  BTW, the proper technical term is "skivvies".

R,
Tom Q.

Re: TSP - How much to use for Laundry....

skivies skevees, scivhes?  i have never attempted to spell or
look it up.    --Loren

Re: TSP - How much to use for Laundry....

  So why are disputing my spelling? Seeems to me that I am, for the
time being, the subject matter expert regarding the proper spelling of
skivvies. Long live the King. <g>

R,
Tom Q.

Re: TSP - How much to use for Laundry....

that sounds way hi.  i remember reading labels before the ban, and iirc,
it was 9-14%, or so.  it was listed as, "phosphates".

has anyone found a cheap local source for TSP?  it is too expensive to
use for laundry if bot at HDepot.   Thanks!    --Loren

Re: TSP - How much to use for Laundry....
of
iirc,

You are probably right since I think I was remembering the scoops that
used to come in Tide, not real cups.  Although, I can weasel some since
if it's 14% phosphate it's 24% TSP.  Anyway, the experimental evidence
someone else posted is that 1/8 to 1/4 cup is enough :-).

As for mixing with bleach, it's perfectly safe to mix TSP and bleach.
The official recipe my Dad made me use was 3 gallons of water in a
bucket, one cup bleach, one cup Calgonite, and 1/2 cup TSP, to scrub the
mildew off the house overhangs every few years when I was a kid.  That
was in New Orleans where the water was kind of hard but not awful.
After we moved to Mississippi I didn't bother with the Calgonite as you
could never tell when you had the soap rinsed off your hands anyway, the
water was so soft :-).

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames   snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net

Re: TSP - How much to use for Laundry....

okay, i see what you mean.  i am still waiting for someone to post an
affordable source for TSP, maybe Sherwin-Williams?  that is about my
only thought and that doesn't sound very good, wrt price.

so what is the "washing soda" that Ed mentioned, is that part of TSP?
thanks!   --Loren

Re: TSP - How much to use for Laundry....

Calcium Carbonate, If memory serves correctly.

Re: TSP - How much to use for Laundry....

Sodium carbonate, sold in supermarkets as Arm & Hammer Washing Soda. 'Comes
in a yellow box, the size of laundry detergent boxes.

It's especially good for really raunchy stale sweat, like the condition of
baseball caps at the end of the season. (However, it's hard to beat putting
them in the dishwasher. Just tie them down to the rack with string, and
don't hold back on the dishwasher detergent.)

You'll want to have some Arm & Hammer on hand anyway, for electrolytic rust
removal...

If you can't find the Arm & Hammer, go for 20 Mule Team Borax. It works
almost as well, and it's also handy to have around -- as a flux for
bronze-brazing of steel. I usually use it instead of the expensive stuff for
ordinary brazing.

Keep those shop laundry tips coming, folks. Normal people, like our wives,
usually don't know about this stuff.

--
Ed Huntress
(remove "3" from email address for email reply)

Re: TSP and borax - How much to use for the shop...
'Comes

Sodium bicarbonate.
BTW, Clare, calcium carbonate is marble, calcite, etc., which we all know
isn't even soluble in water. ;)

rust

I find the salt+vinegar works wonders, even as a pickle for copper stuff!

I keep a tin of borax around the brazing table to dip the rod in if I need
some (which is most of the time.. just more insurance eh?).
Does anyone know if salt (sodium chloride... or any other for that matter)
is good for anything in this regard?

Tim

--
"That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson

Re: TSP and borax - How much to use for the shop...

Hey, I'm tired of being a chemistry ignoramus and I'm studying my son's
chemistry book. It's sodium carbonate (Na2CO3), or, if you're going to get
fussy on me, it's sodium carbonate decahydrate, Na2CO310H2O.

Sodium bicarbonate is baking soda. Sodium carbonate is washing soda. It is
indeed soluble in water.

With washing soda and a little electricity supplied by a battery charger (I
use a 4A trickle charger, sometimes at 6 volts and sometimes at 12, to get 2
or 3 amps), you have no acid or salt left on the part to cause trouble. You
can use it in a bucket, to do a whole piece at once, or with a cotton swab
on a conducting rod. I use a rectangular piece of Poco 3 EDM graphite that I
cut off an old electrode with a hand saw. The latter worked great for
de-rusting the top of my table saw, although I used the more elaborate
alkaline formula posted somewhere in the dropbox. It's pretty quick. In a
bucket, I just use straight washing soda.

Ed Huntress

Re: TSP and borax - How much to use for the shop...
On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 21:29:35 -0600, "Tim Williams"

Actually, washing soda is Sodium Carbonate. Baking soda is Sodium
Bicarbonate.
And Calcium Carbonate IS Calcite - what Stalmites and Stalactites are
made of - so it IS water soluable, to a point. Calcite is also Onyx,
Iceland Spar, and a lot of other minerals -

Re: TSP and borax - How much to use for the shop...

Oops... missed the "washing" qualifier! :o

Actually, it isn't; calcium bicarbonate is.  :)  CO2-rich water seeps
through limestone, picking up a small amount of mineral, then when it
surfaces again in the cave it releases the CO2, precipitating CaCO3.

Tim

--
"That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson

Re: TSP - How much to use for Laundry....

Well, I don't remember how much it was at Home Depot, but a check of
their website lists 5 lbs for $7.78.  www.mcmaster.com is one place that
has it and will ship.  Enter 1839 in the search window to show that
catalog page with all their chemicals.  100 lbs of tsp for $118.75 :-).
They also have 5 and 25 lb boxes ($14.76 and $39.64; they really want
you to buy more than 5 lbs and the 25 lb price is about the same per
pound as home depot's 5 lb price).  Washing soda is sodium carbonate,
also called soda ash, Na2CO3 (mcmaster carr also has this in 25 and 100
lb boxes).  Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate, NaHCO3.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames   snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net

Re: TSP - How much to use for Laundry....

    [ ... ]

    For some chemicals, the price of the container is greater than
the price of the material.  Back around 1963 or so, when I worked in
the photo department of the GEM department store, I remember noticing
the pricing of Kodak Acid Fixer (all in cardboard boxes).  The prices
were:

1 quart        $0.35
1/2 gallon    $0.37
1 gallon    $0.39

Which suggests to me that the cost of printing the boxes and putting the
product in them (and giving them shelf space) was by far the major part
of the cost.

    Enjoy,
        DoN.
Re: TSP - How much to use for Laundry....

i remember GEM, afaik, the very first "discount" store.

when "Mexican" tv dinners came out, the same was said.    --Loren

Site Timeline