TSP - How much to use for Laundry....

Page 1 of 2
Hi Y'all.
Just came back from a ATC trip to the Yuma Sand Dunes and I have tons of ground up sand on various white items. I saw mentioned before that someone used TSP (the real stuff) to clean whites really white.
Question is how much and what safety precautions. I used this stuff to clean a oily garage floor before I painted it and it worked great. (NO PEELING PAINT! and its been 8 years!)
Thanks again.
--
Bart D. Hull
snipped-for-privacy@inficad.com

It says on my box of TSP to add half a cup to a full load of laundry if you have stubborn dirt.
It may or may not work on your whites - they may need bleach to get them really white again. And don't mix bleach and TSP.
Grant
Carl Ijames wrote:

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 16:21:02 -0800, Grant Erwin

No problem mixing chlorine bleach and TSP, as TSP is NOT an acid. Bleach and Phosphate detergents were used together all the time. I use TSP and bleach with a bit of washing soda to clean my aluminum siding (white) when it gets grey mildew and crap on it.

You won't believe this, but I swear it's true: that's exactly what I used to wash my underwear tonight.
I find that it doesn't take as much TSP as some are saying, at least for our family's clothes. My mix for greasy clothes or my son's sweaty sports uniforms can go up to a quarter-cup of TSP and a half-cup of washing soda, along with a capful of ordinary liquid detergent. But, otherwise, it's about 1/8 cup of TSP and a quarter-cup of washing soda added to liquid detergent. That's what I used on the whites tonight, along with a half-cup of liquid chlorine bleach.
Ed Huntress
Ed Huntress wrote: <snip>

Geez, Ed, I don't know - I was taught that if it isn't documented, it didn't happen. Got any supporting documentation that you did your own laundry? Witnesses? I didn't think so. <g>
BTW, the proper technical term is "skivvies".

R, Tom Q.

skivies skevees, scivhes? i have never attempted to spell or look it up. --Loren

Loren Coe wrote:

So why are disputing my spelling? Seeems to me that I am, for the time being, the subject matter expert regarding the proper spelling of skivvies. Long live the King. <g>
R, Tom Q.

that sounds way hi. i remember reading labels before the ban, and iirc, it was 9-14%, or so. it was listed as, "phosphates".
has anyone found a cheap local source for TSP? it is too expensive to use for laundry if bot at HDepot. Thanks! --Loren

of
iirc,
You are probably right since I think I was remembering the scoops that used to come in Tide, not real cups. Although, I can weasel some since if it's 14% phosphate it's 24% TSP. Anyway, the experimental evidence someone else posted is that 1/8 to 1/4 cup is enough :-).
As for mixing with bleach, it's perfectly safe to mix TSP and bleach. The official recipe my Dad made me use was 3 gallons of water in a bucket, one cup bleach, one cup Calgonite, and 1/2 cup TSP, to scrub the mildew off the house overhangs every few years when I was a kid. That was in New Orleans where the water was kind of hard but not awful. After we moved to Mississippi I didn't bother with the Calgonite as you could never tell when you had the soap rinsed off your hands anyway, the water was so soft :-).
-- Regards, Carl Ijames snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net

okay, i see what you mean. i am still waiting for someone to post an affordable source for TSP, maybe Sherwin-Williams? that is about my only thought and that doesn't sound very good, wrt price.

so what is the "washing soda" that Ed mentioned, is that part of TSP? thanks! --Loren

Calcium Carbonate, If memory serves correctly.

Carl Ijames wrote:

Sodium carbonate, sold in supermarkets as Arm & Hammer Washing Soda. 'Comes in a yellow box, the size of laundry detergent boxes.
It's especially good for really raunchy stale sweat, like the condition of baseball caps at the end of the season. (However, it's hard to beat putting them in the dishwasher. Just tie them down to the rack with string, and don't hold back on the dishwasher detergent.)
You'll want to have some Arm & Hammer on hand anyway, for electrolytic rust removal...
If you can't find the Arm & Hammer, go for 20 Mule Team Borax. It works almost as well, and it's also handy to have around -- as a flux for bronze-brazing of steel. I usually use it instead of the expensive stuff for ordinary brazing.
Keep those shop laundry tips coming, folks. Normal people, like our wives, usually don't know about this stuff.
--
Ed Huntress
(remove "3" from email address for email reply)

'Comes
Sodium bicarbonate. BTW, Clare, calcium carbonate is marble, calcite, etc., which we all know isn't even soluble in water. ;)

rust
I find the salt+vinegar works wonders, even as a pickle for copper stuff!

I keep a tin of borax around the brazing table to dip the rod in if I need some (which is most of the time.. just more insurance eh?). Does anyone know if salt (sodium chloride... or any other for that matter) is good for anything in this regard?
Tim
-- "That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson Website @ http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/tmoranwms

Hey, I'm tired of being a chemistry ignoramus and I'm studying my son's chemistry book. It's sodium carbonate (Na2CO3), or, if you're going to get fussy on me, it's sodium carbonate decahydrate, Na2CO310H2O.
Sodium bicarbonate is baking soda. Sodium carbonate is washing soda. It is indeed soluble in water.

With washing soda and a little electricity supplied by a battery charger (I use a 4A trickle charger, sometimes at 6 volts and sometimes at 12, to get 2 or 3 amps), you have no acid or salt left on the part to cause trouble. You can use it in a bucket, to do a whole piece at once, or with a cotton swab on a conducting rod. I use a rectangular piece of Poco 3 EDM graphite that I cut off an old electrode with a hand saw. The latter worked great for de-rusting the top of my table saw, although I used the more elaborate alkaline formula posted somewhere in the dropbox. It's pretty quick. In a bucket, I just use straight washing soda.
Ed Huntress
On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 21:29:35 -0600, "Tim Williams"

Actually, washing soda is Sodium Carbonate. Baking soda is Sodium Bicarbonate. And Calcium Carbonate IS Calcite - what Stalmites and Stalactites are made of - so it IS water soluable, to a point. Calcite is also Onyx, Iceland Spar, and a lot of other minerals -

Oops... missed the "washing" qualifier! :o

Actually, it isn't; calcium bicarbonate is. :) CO2-rich water seeps through limestone, picking up a small amount of mineral, then when it surfaces again in the cave it releases the CO2, precipitating CaCO3.
Tim
-- "That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson Website @ http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/tmoranwms

Well, I don't remember how much it was at Home Depot, but a check of their website lists 5 lbs for $7.78. www.mcmaster.com is one place that has it and will ship. Enter 1839 in the search window to show that catalog page with all their chemicals. 100 lbs of tsp for $118.75 :-). They also have 5 and 25 lb boxes ($14.76 and $39.64; they really want you to buy more than 5 lbs and the 25 lb price is about the same per pound as home depot's 5 lb price). Washing soda is sodium carbonate, also called soda ash, Na2CO3 (mcmaster carr also has this in 25 and 100 lb boxes). Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate, NaHCO3.
-- Regards, Carl Ijames snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net
    [ ... ]

    For some chemicals, the price of the container is greater than the price of the material. Back around 1963 or so, when I worked in the photo department of the GEM department store, I remember noticing the pricing of Kodak Acid Fixer (all in cardboard boxes). The prices were:
1 quart        $0.35 1/2 gallon    $0.37 1 gallon    $0.39
Which suggests to me that the cost of printing the boxes and putting the product in them (and giving them shelf space) was by far the major part of the cost.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

i remember GEM, afaik, the very first "discount" store.

when "Mexican" tv dinners came out, the same was said. --Loren

Related Threads