Typical rpm of a cordless drill motor?

Anybody know what the raw speed of a typical modern cordless drill motor is? Thanks.

Reply to
John Doe

how long is a piece of string? ie: they're all over the map and it depends upon which one you're talking about.

Reply to
charlie

It also depends upon which one you are talking about.

I'm talking about a typical modern cordless drill in the 14.4 v to

18/36 v range made by Panasonic, DeWalt, or Bosch. They all have similar innards, they all use planetary gears, and they all are roughly the same rpm at the chuck.

According to my calculation, my DeWalt 36 V monster drill motor spins between 9,000 and 10,000 rpm. Apparently that speed is not unusual. I was hoping I might have made a mistake and that the typical rpm would be less, but I guess they're going for high torque which probably means faster rpms.

Reply to
John Doe

Variable speed, in most cases

WB ......... metalworking projects

Wild_Bill

Actually... running a cordless drill in variable speed for very long is potentially destructive to the controller.

"Wild_Bill" wrote:

flpi142.ffdc.sbc.com!flpi088.ffdc.sbc.com!prodigy.com!flpi089.ffdc.sbc.com!prodigy.net!newsfeed2.telusplanet.net!newsfeed.telus.net!news-in-02.newsfeed.easynews.com!core-easynews!easynews.com!easynews!en-nntp-09.dc1.easynews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail

we will be unable to process your complaint properly.

Reply to
John Doe

Not true in general. Might be true if the controller is poorly designed with insufficient heatsink.

Reply to
Don Foreman

The ones I've seen are all about that speed.

Make for good robot drive units! Use PWM control.

I'm waiting for those A123 cells to come down in price. Last time I looked they were bout $16.00 EACH!

Do you know if the 36V packs are actually running the motors at that voltage?

DOC

Something about robots...

John Doe wrote:

doc

Read DeWalt's cordless drill manuals... "NOTE: Continuous use in variable speed range is not recommended. It may damage the switch and should be avoided." That's not surprising to me considering how little airflow there is inside of a drill handle.

Reply to
John Doe