unknown collet need ID help

I have a nice set of small collets that I cannot match up on any of the collet charts. Looks like a miniature R8.

Here's the specs

3.00" OA Length .500"bearing/shaft diameter .675 max diameter at face. 5/16-16 internal thread. sizes 1/6 - 3/8

photo (ignore the big 2VB in front)

I'd like to find a good home for these if I can figure out what they are.

Reply to
RBnDFW

B3. Used on the Bridgeport "C" head, and some of the "M" heads.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

The chart I have shows the back bearing to be .650" on the B3. Mine are .500". Thread size is also different.

Reply to
RBnDFW

Another example of my typing after looking but before reading. They are a mystery to me. Any clues from where you got them?

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

Not really. They came from an estate sale, which had

Victor 16x40 lathe w/5C collets Emco CNC 5 lathe with it's own collets Small CNC mill that used QC tooling

So they did not fit anything there.

Reply to
RBnDFW

4C and 3C all resemble smaller and smaller versions of 5C collets

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I forgot to mention WW collets, and a shitload of others...

This may be of some help...

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch
[ ... ]

So -- who wound up with the Compact-5/CNC? It is a nice one. (and the collets are probably ER-25 collets). Aside form the collet chuck, did it also have a 3-jaw and a 4-jaw chuck?

What about toolpost? There were two styles of quick-change toolposts, plus a motorized turret for up to three square-shanked turning tools and up to three round-shanked drilling/boring tools.

Also -- which version of the firmware did it have? (Give the colors of the keycaps in the various locations -- the newer systems had a different set of colors.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Gunner, I Dl'd Hardinge's 4-page collet chart, most complete I've seen, and nothing matches. Just scanning for ~3" OAL and ~1/2 bearing diameter eliminates everything on the chart.

Reply to
RBnDFW

Don, I sold it to a local machinist. I had it a year and never had time for it, and he wanted it very badly.

Don, this was the very latest version, with all the tooling - motorized turret, milling column both chucks collets & chuck, dividing head etc. It was like new, except for a few plastic and aluminum chips. Even the tape drive worked. I've not seen a more complete or nicer one since. But I got a great price for it, and we're both happy.

Reply to
RBnDFW

O.K. I'm still using one which started out with the oldest firmware and CPU board and which I upgraded to the latest of both. And added the turret toolpost as well.

That is what matters.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Actually..there are about 30 pages in there. You may wish to dig into the Swiss Machine collets as well. Many many different types.

Interesting, take a picture next to a ruler and post it someplace we can all look at it.