Update on Hobart Cybertig pedal (made it to work)

A little update...

The hobart cybertig that I bought 6 weeks ago, came with a remote control pendant. It was not easy to use it for welding because it required the use of third hand.

I recently bought a foot pedal on ebay. It did not work for me, because the 10 pin connector that I thought was for the pedal, was in fact for something else, and was (just as the pedal) male. I wasted some time and money by buying a matching female plug for it and then realizing that it was a wrong route.

Afterwards, I bought a 19 pin plug for the pendant connector, and basically followed the manual that I had, for connecting them. The pedal has two sets of wires:

1) two wires for ON/OFF control (open/close) 2) three wires for potentiometer based current control: two sides and the wiper. I had to make a guess (the manual was unclear) on which side goes where.

After I soldered everything, the pedal worked and, luckily, the two sides of the potentiometer were soldered correctly, not in reverse order, as I was afraid. So, now I have a working foot pedal, it is beautiful.

I want to say special thanks to everyone who advised me on the foot pedal issue. Wayne was spot on in pointing out that the 10 pin connector was for the dabber and not for the foot pedal.

Ignoramus13880

On my Cybertig 2...the 10 pin is for the pedal, and also requires a biasing resistor. (CT300 drawer)

There is a company on the net..cant remember the name..SSC Controls or such, that makes pedals, adapters and so forth, that has plugs, and wiring diagrams.

....click! got it

If you go down to the "old Hobart" and click on the PDF link..you will notice the wiring diagram for the rather hard to find 10 pin connector.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

If that 10 pin connector is the same configuration as the regular Hobarts..

with DEFG in a straight line across..Ill buy it from you, to add a pedal to mine

Already have about 5 pedals..but the plug is the hard part. It needs to be a male btw.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Yep... They sell the 10 pin version...

Ignoramus32681

If you want a perfectly working used plug, with the cable clamp, I can gladly sell it to you for less than new. Drop me a note.

Ignoramus32681

Mine has the ten pin as well. But it's much older than yours. I bet your 10 pin is female on the welder as well. That was the big difference actually. Iggy's had a female ten pin for some fancy robot torch based on what I could figure out in the manual in a few minutes.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

You are right, except that my receptacle on the welder was male, not female. If it was a foot pedal receptacle, it would have been female instead. The plug of the pedal was male.

After I replaced the 10 pin male plug on the pedal with the big 19 pin plug, I have a spare 10 pin male plug that is usable for many cybertigs.

Ignoramus32681

Works for me.

Gunner

Gunner Asch