Value of Cincinnati #2 tool and cutter grinder?

A company is offering to sell me some Cincinnati #2 tool and cutter grinders.

I looked on ebay and I see a lot of dreamers hoping to get a lot of money for them, but no actual sales.

This is a little bit of a giveaway to the situation, but I want to ask anyway, how much are those things worth?

Also, how can I ascertain their condition?

Ignoramus2004

With or without the tooling? I wouldn't give much more than scrap if no tooling. These are pretty low demand machines. Industry don't want them at all, not a real high demand for hobbyists.

Shop eBay for tooling value, worth more than the machine.

Just a data point, I gave $2000 for a fully tooled (enough for two machines) Cincinatti monoset a while back. This is better than a #2 cause its more versatile. But about the same value.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

OK, I got it, I will go and see what is the situation.

Ignoramus2004

Gunner Asch on Mon, 25 Jul 2011 14:03:53 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Question I have is - how long to regrind a tool, vs swap out inserts? I seem to remember that it could be done in under 15 minutes, and most of that was spent walking to the tool crib and back.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Well, here's an update. I did not get the Cincinnati T&C grinder. I just decided that I do not want the hassle of dealing with these 1000 lbs hippos.

I did, however, get a Darex drill grinder for $20 and a CutterMaster end mill sharpener for $50.

Also a shipload of other stuff, totaling $300. My truck was full.

I want to keep this CutterMaster for myself and learn how to sharpen end mills. I will also see which Darex to keep, my current one or this one.

Ignoramus2004

You need a bigger truck. :)

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

A couple of years ago, someone was closing his grinding shop and offered to sell me three Cinci #2's for around $500 apiece tooled. The drive was too far and my Toyota Tacoma too underpowered to haul that sized trailer, so I passed on that deal. Glad I did. The Cinci's are huge. Those things are really white elephants because of their weight / size. I have two KO Lees and they're nice sized grinders. The KO Lees come in three sizes - small (300 series), medium (600 &

900 series) and large (6000 series) Similar to what I'm reading between the lines on what you're thinking, in retirement, not too many years in the future for me, I could see potting around selling resharpened endmills to other hobby machinists. One of my machines came with a Weldon endmill grinding fixture.

What Gunner or someone else said about there not being many buyers right now is true. I doubt I'd break even on my two unless I sold some of the tooling separately, so that each machine came with only minimal tooling. I bought with the idea that when they're gone from industry in general, they'll be somewhat rare and possibly more desireable, and over time inflation will give me the dollars back, if not the entire purchasing power of the initial cost.

Recent Craigslist prices for KO Lees in my region have been running from $950 to $1500. I doubt either sold. I know the one at $950 didn't because I tried to buy some tooling from the seller about 6 weeks after the posting. It was still around and the guy decided to just hang onto it rather than sell it at what he considered to be a giveaway price. My intuition is that they should sell for around $450 with some tooling. A few hundred more if they come with tooling that you could actually do something with, like the end mill grinding fixture. I bought my second one this spring for $650, but it came with a complete second grinding head for a 6000 series machine, plus a little tooling. Cleaning up the second head is a work in progress.

Iggy, contact me off list. If you're seeing stuff like that come up for sale in your area, maybe you'll run across some tooling I'd like to buy. I can give you a photographic shopping list to keep your eyes peeled for.

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

I can buy a SHIPLOAD of T&C grinder tooling. I was looking at those piles that the guy had and I have no clue. Email pictures of you want to my userid ichudov at domain gmail dot com.

I will go there again.

Ignoramus2004

Yes, should have bought a diesel long bed.

Ignoramus2004

Nice score on the Cuttermaster. I see those for sale in Craigslist periodically. The asking price is typically $1100. They're small enough and new enough that they may actually sell for close to that price, although a regular T&C grinder is more versatile.

I think that's a borazon wheel on your end mill grinder. Those things are expensive. Unlike the diamond wheels that the Chinese have copied, I don't think they're duplicating the borazon wheels yet. At least I didn't spot any on ebay. The coating on them is pretty thin. Use a standard vitreous wheel to do your learning in case you learn the hard way. I haven't mounted my borazon wheel yet.

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

I gather that you do have a Cuttermaster. If so, can you shoot a picture of it assembled correctly? I would appreciate this greatly.

Thanks

Ignoramus2004

This is a Miller EconoTwin.

Ignoramus307

Gunner, I do have an air floating end mill holder, yes. It takes 5C collets. I do not have other holders, though.

Ignoramus7018

He had that

but not this

Reply to
Ignoramus7018

I don't have a Cuttermaster. Only KO Lee's. You probably need to scrounge around for a manual for it. Check the grinding groups on Yahoo. Someone there is likely to have one, or you might find pictures of one in the photos section.

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

I will ask $150 for mine, and it comes with leads. I have never been a "dreamer" and never asked for too much money.

Ignoramus7018

Gunner Asch on Mon, 25 Jul 2011 23:30:15 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

That's what I thought. Most of the time was taken up in walking over to the tool crib. Did provide an excuse to go outside (tool crib was in the other building), get a cup of coffee.

Ayup. We had a guy who's full time job was "setting tools" - proper inserts, then measuring them, so that the machine operator only had to "insert tool, edit offsets" and back to the grind.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

stick leads

Reply to
Ignoramus7018

I will try to get as much of that stuff into my truck as I can, without breaking the suspension and blowing out tires.

Ignoramus7018

Thanks... I do what I can to help economic recovery...

Ignoramus7018