Very interesting homemade trailer

Very smart concept.

Ignoramus20845

Is it just me, or does the paint chips on the picture of the Hyd cylinder and linkage, look like the metal there buckled at some point?

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

It appears to me the axle has an extreme advantage over the cylinder and the whole stroke of the cylinder is not used. The small bolt above the clevis on the cylinder must be the pin that locks the mechanism for travel. I think there is a good reason the trailer is for sale. Steve

Reply to
Up North

Looks like a repair. If you look a bit further to the right you'll see what looks like a weld bead on the same part.I would imagine that you can't put to much weight in that trailer.

Bernie

It does, to me.

Ignoramus20845

I do not see how it can be locked at all?

Ignoramus20845

You know, after all the comments here, etc, I think that ramps and winches are probaly a safer way to go.

Ignoramus20845

Ignoramus20845 fired this volley in news:dOqdnYW2q6x_rmvanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Iggy, I think the concept is safer, just not their execution. I'd rather hand-truck a heavy item onto a ground-level platform than up a ramp.

Certainly, a trailer could be built that didn't have an 80:1 advantage over the cylinders, and had a more positive means of locking the assembly.

(It also appears that the trailer has no decent suspension, although it might have those chewing gum torsion springs in the axle mounts).

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I winched a 1,000 lbs compressor off, and then on, my trailer, on a wood cart on casters, worked just fine.

Also, a trailer could be tilted towards the back, by means as simple as the rear wheels of the truck driving on a ramp.

I would like to know how to do it.

The idea is kind of cute, until one realizes that it is hard to have any meaningful weight capacity. i

Reply to
Ignoramus20845

On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 12:49:55 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Trevor Jones quickly quoth:

C'mon, guys. I pointed that out last week when the first post of that link was shown here. Pay 'tennshun, boys.

-- Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. -- George S. Patton

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The vending machine company in our area uses a trailer like that to deliver some of it's large machines. It worked pretty darn well for it's purpose. They rolled the machine out on a handtruck, right onto the trailer, lifted, and off they went.

RJ

Backlash

If you built something like that, that did not need to go 'ground to loading ramp' like that can, I think you could build something more robust and with better weight capacity.

I wonder if there's an air resevoir somewhere in there to provide some suspension in addition to the 'leg flex' suspension?

If you didn't need to go to dock height, you could omit the front lifting mechanism as well.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

The concept is fine, the execution of this one is terrible. Others have mentioned the mechanical disadvantage on the cylinder, my first issue was the long spider legs for the axle mounts. Think bending and twist on the mount arms.

A well executed trailer that could go from essentially ground level to dock height with an 18" deck height for transport would really be handy for any> >> The vending machine company in our area uses a trailer like that to deliver

Reply to
RoyJ

Only thing I'd do different is mount the pivots forward. I'd want a trailing arm suspension, not leading arm so if a wheel jams etc the trailer does not attempt to "launch" the load.

Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

"Bill of sale only" - my translation WARNING: He doesn't have a title slip, and may not have clear title. Do a little Caveat Emptor and find out for sure before spending money...

Other than that, a drop bed trailer. I've seen them done better, and with less risky drop suspension designs.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Good idea. Poor execution.

Needs a way to lock the wheels to the frame that does not rely on the long moment arm acting on the lift shafts.

Maybe a shock absorbing system, betwen the lock point and the ground, too.

I susppect any damage done was due to overloading or overloading and rough terrain both. Maybe a rated load and really rough ... Maybe.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

What makes you think it's homemade?

Reply to
Tom

Many states do not require a title for a utility trailer. You state laws may vary! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Seems it would be very hard on the hydraulics as well. O-rings probably really take a beating! Wonder how often the hydraulics have to be rebuilt....

In NC they usually stamp the serial number on the axle. What axle . . . In this case? Don't know where the Ser.# would go.

Can you imagine going down the highway at 70 mph, hitting a bump and rupturing an "O" ring?

A few months back I was going down I-85 and saw an 18-wheeler dragging his lift gate. He pulled over and a couple hours later I came back by. A DOT vehicle was there. To help? To inspect the vehicle? Who knows! Hydraulics do go out, thankfully the "let down" is not always instantaneous.

Reply to
Al Patrick

My experiences:

In NC, the numbers are required on the right rear of the axle, to be visible when looking under the trailer from the rear, and also as close as possible to the hitch area on the tongue of the trailer.

A homebuilt trailer number has to be applied for, usually beginning with NCXxxxxxxx. Then that number is stamped in both places, and any law enforcement officer can sign off on the form to verify it is indeed, a home constructed unit, not stolen factory units. Used to be able to stamp a plate and weld it on, now I hear the numbers have to be stamped into the parent metal. I haven't had to blaze a title lately, though, so haven't verified this latest.

RJ

Backlash