Vise stop

I cant figure out how this works in a Mill vise, and won't buy one to find out. I use a mill vise that has jaws that stick up 3/16 inch from the body but are tapered back so nothing can be clamped to them. Is that where it goes? anyone have a picture of one installed?

Stupendous Man

Look on page 2531 of the McMaster-Carr catalog (online). About half way down it shows a picture.

I bought one of these a few years ago from the Enco sale catalog. It was under six dollars at the time. I found it very useful for when I was doing multiple parts.

-Bruno

"Stupendous Man" wrote:

Reply to
Bruno

It clamps on the top of jaws like this:

Ned Simmons

That is exactly how it goes. Make a replacement set of vise jaws without the bevel and it will work find. All mill vises which I have seen allow for replaceable jaws.

There are other kinds of stops as well. You can drill and tap into one end of a vise jaw, and use a machine screw to attach a piece of steel which will pivot out to become a stop, or pivot out of the way.

There are also stops which clamp to the T-slot and have a projection which can be adjusted to stop the workpiece.

The Kurt Anglock vises (at least the semi-newer ones) have a milled groove along the top of the jaw for the stop to attach to.

All in all -- first look at the problem, then design a solution for it. And consider the vise jaws as expendables. You can bolt on soft jaws (aluminum or a mild steel) and mill a pocket to hold a small workpiece precisely.

I've even gotten a 4" Kurt-II with jaws with magnets embedded to hold parallels in place while you change the workpiece.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols