Visiting San Fran

Hi, all. I am visiting my son in San Fran for a couple of days. Is Brizio's Hot Rods worth stopping by to see? Any metal working things to see/visit? Thanks, Bill.

Reply to
ZettabyteZero

First of all, to make sure you're not immediately pegged as a tourist, refer to the city as San Francisco, SF, or The City. Never San Fran or Frisco.

My two suggestions are the Jeremiah O'Brien:

And the submarine Pampanito:

If you have a day to kill, check out the Exploratorium:

Jim Stewart

Thanks, Jim. I'll check these out. And from now on, it's SF. Bill.

Reply to
ZettabyteZero

I think that I would talk about souped up cars BEFORE I mentioned 'hot rods' in San Francisco.

Reply to
knowone

On 11 May 2006 16:43:49 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com quickly quoth:

I had fun looking at all the rusty metal in Alkatraz Prison while I was there one time. And I found my "DIE YUPPIE SCUM" t-shirt at a little store next to the Ghirardelli chocolate factory by the Wharf.

I also found the cable car Works to be a really interesting metal-bearing visit. Don't miss the tour of the Power House / Museum!
You might want to take a walk on the Golden Gate Bridge, too. There's a frightening amount of steel in that thing which you pretty much miss if you drive over it. Walking it naked, outside your car, you can sense a lot more of the grand scale of the beautiful thing, too.

If you have the time, drive over the bridge and head toward Mt. Tamalpais, a beautiful and scenic drive, and go into the Muir Woods. If you haven't seen the giant redwoods before, you're in for a thrill.

Larry Jaques

I don't know if you'd want to walk on the Golden Gate bridge naked but there's a beach next to the old fort under the south end of the bridge where people skinnydip.

Engineman

Reply to
engineman1

Thanks, Larry. Between you and Jim, I think my son and I will have an interesting 3 days together. I guess nobody wants to comment about Brizio's? Bill.

Reply to
ZettabyteZero

--Hmmm never heard of it. But you definitely want to check out the Exploratorium. Also, if you cross the bay the Crucible is worth a look.

Reply to
steamer

Don't you risk arrest?

Or (worse yet) getting 'rear ended'????

Reply to
newsgroups

On 11 May 2006 21:26:11 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com quickly quoth:

I'm willing to guess that none of us has ever heard of them.

P.S: Take plenty of pics and post 'em on a website when you get back.

-- We either make ourselves happy or miserable. The amount of work is the same. -Carlos Castaneda, mystic and author (1925-1998) -------

- Happy Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 12 May 2006 06:00:55 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "newsgroups" quickly quoth:

I should have said "Walking it, without your car around you to shield you from the massive scale of the place,..."

Oy vay. You literalists. I swear... (Good bit of fun, wot? ;)

-- We either make ourselves happy or miserable. The amount of work is the same. -Carlos Castaneda, mystic and author (1925-1998) -------

- Happy Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I just checked their website and it says that tomorrow (5/13) is their annual Shop Party and Open House. I'd never heard of this place but now I'm glad to see it. I live only about 5 miles away.

FYI, it's in South San Francisco -- that's a different city from San Francisco, although very close.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Bruno

The top of Twin Peaks has a great view of the city if the sun's out. Mt. Davidson does too (with fewer people), but you'll have to walk up. I always recommend Zuni's restaurant on Market for a great meal. If you can stand the Fisherman's Wharf crowds, the Pompanito and the Jeremiah O'Brien are fun to visit, as is the USS Hornet in Alameda. Castro street and Union street will give you a couple of views of the culture of SF. You should take a drive through the Presidio and over to he Marin Headlands and check out the WWII coastal defense forts in both locations. Fort Point under the GG bridge is fun.

Enjoy yourself,

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

If you will be going as far as the Alameda Naval Air Station, check out the aircraft carrier Hornet.

Reply to
woodworker88