Water heater installation

I have to replace my water heater because of an unrepairable leak in the gas valve. I have a tank-type heater and am thinking of replacing it with a tankless. One problem is that my present heater has it's water connections at the top and the tankless at the bottom underneath. To make installation easier I'm thinking of using flexible corrugated copper tubing similar to what is used for gas lines. I'm wondering if I will run into any problems with this, such as galvanic action, also will the corrugations restrict the water flow too much?

Engineman

Reply to
engineman

Sussest use the braided instead.

Cheaper and less corrosion potential

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Why not just use regular soft copper tubing ?? It bends well , though not in a tight radius unless it's supported while bending . Sand works well for that ... Be aware that tankless needs bigger than standard gas lines , because of the increased BTU/hr requirements .

Reply to
Snag

I have to replace my water heater because of an unrepairable leak in the gas valve. I have a tank-type heater and am thinking of replacing it with a tankless. One problem is that my present heater has it's water connections at the top and the tankless at the bottom. To make installation easier I'm thinking of using flexible corrugated copper tubing similar to what is used for gas lines. I'm wondering if I will run into any problems with this, such as galvanic action, also will the corrugations restrict the water flow too much?

Engineman

Reply to
engineman

A conventional hot water heater is a source of drinking water during an emergency that cuts off your source.

'Just sayin.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Have you priced copper lately ?

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

If he's gonna pop for a tankless , which also ain't cheap , he might as well pop for the materials to do it right . JMNSHO ...

Reply to
Snag

Ditto, except I've have used pipe, and about a half-dozen solder joints - will PEX stand the heat?

Also, be sure to wrap some insulation around the hot side tube/pipe.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Recently I was also considering a tankless water heater... and as I had zero experience and knowledge of them, solicited thoughts and comments from the group.

The general consensus was to not walk, but RUN from them, just as fast and far as you can... lots of real world trouble, maintenance and expense...

A word to the wise is sufficient, and I followed that advise... and am pleased to to announce that everything is once again 'ponies and rainbows' here.

May I suggest you also do your homework before considering such a heater... it was very eye opening.

Good Luck!

Erik

Reply to
Erik

There's enough "gremlins" related to tankless water heaters without experimenting with non-standard sub-optimun installation procedures.

Do your homework - and if you still think you want to install one, start over and do your homework again.....

Reply to
clare

Why would you want to heat hot water, Winnie?

-- I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues. --Duke Ellington

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I have to replace my water heater because of an unrepairable leak in the gas valve. I have a tank-type heater and am thinking of replacing it with a tankless. One problem is that my present heater has it's water connections at the top and the tankless at the bottom. To make installation easier I'm thinking of using flexible corrugated copper tubing similar to what is used for gas lines. I'm wondering if I will run into any problems with this, such as galvanic action, also will the corrugations restrict the water flow too much?

Engineman

Reply to
engineman

Nothing special about copper that would make it the "right' choice unless perhaps the rest of of the house is already plumbed with it.

No matter though--looks like he won't be reading this anyways since google groups is apparently broken.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Um. Make that 'A conventional water heater'...

Heh.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Like Erik, I looked into a tank less gas fired water hater and found that the installed price would be ~$4500.00 as opposed to $1275 for a

40 gallon tank unit including installation of a SS flue liner. Further, I had experience in April while visiting senior son in Spain, his tank less butane fired unit sucked big time in that a shower involved having someone watch the pilot light and relight it every time it went out. I suspect that was a problem unique to the particular unit rather than being a general fault but it sure made a shower into an event to be endured. Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Reply to
Gerald Miller

Tendjewberrymud.

-- I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues. --Duke Ellington

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"Just because you got then blues doesn't mean you got to sing" Savoy Brown

Reply to
Richard

FWIW, when I was in Thailand in the USAF, mid-1970s-ish, I rented an off-base bungalow, and it had an American-style toilet and shower, with a "tankless" water heater. The only servicing it needed was an occasional propane tank, which was indistinguishable from an American propane tank, and it gave instant hot water, albeit you don't need terribly hot water for a shower when ambient is 95F. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Gunner, don't be a dork. Larry's question was a joke on the expression "hot water heater."

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I just replaced my gas water heater after 23 years. Tankless too exspensive. Went with another tank style. Tankless also have a limited temp rise, so if you got real cold water goingin you might only get warm coming out. All depends on input water temp and flow rate. IE how many people are using hot water at the same time.

Copper to steel is not that bad in my experiance. Just as long as there is no aluminum in there anywhere. My old and new tank style heaters have galv. steel nipples pre installed that connect to copper pipes. They have plastic liners in them and I guess that makes them "dielectirc"

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333