Water in fuel detector

Many years ago we had a heating oil tank issue and the oil burner person had a puddy that he put on the end of a stick and then put it into the tank, I turns a bright color where it contacts water, this is a esy way to see how much water is in a tank. I called 2 oil companies and a local plumbing supply house and no one had ever seen this. I was hoping to use this in my boat gas tank to test for water any help would be great, pulling and drining the tank is a PITA.

Reply to
wayne mak

My boats' fuel filter has a clear bowl on the bottom that functions as a fuel/water separator- I can see the amount of water 'pulled from the tank' which indicates to me how much water is actually in the tank.

Can't you just pump out some fuel (from the lowest point) and put into a clear glass container for a closer look?

Reply to
reader

I googled for "water in fuel detector stick" and came up with:

Scroll down the page and you will see a product called "Testmaster". It is what you described. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Gasoila waterfinding paste - page 4428 of MSC's big book, or via

Ecnerwal

I purchased this material from McMaster Carr about 2 years ago. I have not found it in the current catalog so they may no longer carry it. Might be worth a call though.

Bob

Reply to
rleonard

Reply to
wayne mak

Water detector paste was pretty common around work when I was fixing airplanes. Maybe try at the airport. Or the local bulk fuels dealers (avgas, etc.)

Personally, I'd go mechanical. A closed loop system with a pump and a jar, along with a few feet of hose. Use the pump to draw fuel up through the jar and return it to the tank, water to settle in jar like it would in a fuel filter bowl. A rigid tubing wand would allow you to probe the various suspect spots in the tank. You would need a solvent safe pump, though. Or just install a proper filter bowl with a drain.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

try some more heating equipment supply places, they have it.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Have you considered just adding an appropriate amount of methanol every time you fill it. The alcohol will absorb the water and make it 'burnable'. Heet is a popular brand name.

Reply to
John Miller

I was just wandering by looking at stuff on gasoila (the best) the stuff you are looking for comes in a tube and is called Sar gelPetroleum

Equipment - DetailDescription: Sar-gel Water Finding Paste is used to determine the water level in petroleum storage tanks. This easy-to-apply paste turns a bright color when ...

- 41k - Cached - Similar pages

Reply to
radium

Used to use the same stuff at the gas station. They might even have a dollop to share if you bring a stick.

Reply to
bamboo