[Way OT:] Microwave oven now "Lazy Man" clean

I zap a soup bowl, half full of water for a couple minutes and let the vapor condense within the oven cavity for a couple additional minutes.

The crud on the walls and inside the door then wipes away quickly and easily with a paper towel. Repeat once and the oven looks like new!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Good idea, less work than dragging it outside to use the pressure washer.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Excerpts from a thread in S.E.R. ng wrt microwaving..

I've found certain techniques that produce results which are more to my personal liking.. such as always wrap/cover a sandwich in paper towel to heat (prevents the bread/bun from getting hard spots without becoming soggy), cover cold pizza also with paper towel, or better yet, eat it cold. There are various options.. placing flat foods between two paper plates, or tall sandwiches between two paper bowls. There are various commercial plastic products/accessories for MWO use, but those require washing.. disposable paper (not plastic/styrofoam) plates and bowls, and plastic utensils don't.

I never put uncovered liquids or other types of foods that are a combination of food/liquid in the MWO, I always use a paper plate as a cover. I can't stand seeing a dirty MWO, and it's far easier to prevent eruptions than to clean them up. But then, I generally always wipe the interior down with a paper towel dampened with 60/40% water/alcohol mixture that has a few drops of liquid soap added per pint, to wipe out the condensed moisture, every time I use the MWO.

I've been wanting to modify my MWO's fan to run for a timed cycle after the food is cooked and removed, which would exaust some of the condensed interior moisture and odor/aroma from the interior, but to also to help cool down stuff that's way too hot to eat after 12 minutes of cooking, such as the big Marie Callendar(?) potpies.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

You just discovered this? Why do you think most people wipe down the oven's cavity right after removing the food?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I prefer using a ventilated, translucent plastic cover. It holds in the heat and most of the moisture. I run water over the inside and wipe it out with a paper towel when I'm done cooking.

Also, spray a little water on cold pizza before rehating it to keep the crust soft. I keep a spray bottle of distilled water on the counter next to my microwave so it's easy to find when I need it.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

  • Good idea, less work than dragging it outside to use the pressure
  • washer.

Just roll the pressure washer inside.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Lemon juice in the water helps.

Reply to
Pete C.

I take it back.

The pressure washer sounds like *much* more fun, outdoors or indoors!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Good tip. Thanks, Pete.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Yup. I've been using a plastic bag to heat sandwiches. It works to prevent bread hardening, but I'm concerned about the VOCs and plasticizer 'seasoning'.

I'm thinking about these to prevent splatter and to heat two plates at the same time. I'd prefer Pyrex, but I'm concerned about the mess that a top - heavy stack would create if it got unstable. :)

I've stacked three bowls to do the same thing. (Middle one inverted)

You *are* tidy.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Even more betterer: Toaster Oven. ;-)

Put a piece of aluminum foil just a little bigger than the slice into the oven. Preheat to 375-400; heat leftover pizza 8-10 minutes, until it's just like a new pizza! (you might want to start checking it at maybe

5 minutes, depending how well you like it re-cooked.)

FWIW, I like a thin and crispy crust, so it doesn't need much moisture there.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Fastidiousness?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Just wipe the walls with the newspaper you put over the food.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

WARMING leftover pizza? You heathen sicko, you!

-- "I probably became a libertarian through exposure to tough-minded professors" James Buchanan, Armen Alchian, Milton Friedman "who encouraged me to think with my brain instead of my heart. I learned that you have to evaluate the effects of public policy as opposed to intentions." -- Walter E. Williams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Rich Grise wrote: ...

In that case, here is the pizza-warming answer: a skillet. A low to medium heat will crispen the crust and heat the toppings JUST RIGHT. You think that you like it the way that you do it now, but try using a skillet and you won't go back.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Ever since seeing the disgusting crap splattered all through the interior of a MWO in the lunchroom at an industrial facility I once worked at, I've been kinda particular about keeping my own fairly clean when I started using one at home.

Quite a few years ago, there were numerous reports of using plastics in MWOs, the heated plastics were reportedly killing pet birds (the canary carried into mines-type situation). I realize that there are less toxic plastic MW dishes now, but I just avoid using any plastics in the MWO.

I picked up a lot of sheets of ABS and PVC a while ago, thinking that I'd make a hot wire table for making bends, but got wised up by someone here in RCM posting a link to the dangers of heating these plastics without adequate ventilation/fume extraction. The gasses released from heating these particular plastics can be very toxic. Elsewhere I heard that burning some plastics can release small amounts of sarin.. yep, that's possibly accurate/serious.

Covering certain foods with a paper towel (sandwiches or other baked goods) will let some of the moisture out of the product, where a plastic or other hard shell will result in a soggy sandwich by keeping all the moisture trapped, IME.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

NO NO NO - the lemon juice will corrode the piston inside the pressure cleaner.

Reply to
Dennis

You're supposed to take the bird out of the container before you zap it.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Boiling a bowl of water an lemon juice inside a microwave does a very nice job of mild acid steam cleaning, as well as deodorizing. No pressure washer required.

Reply to
Pete C.

Sorry, my mistake......

Reply to